S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New to Audi and looking for an 2010 or so S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Audi and looking for an 2010 or so S4

Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions. I'm looking at getting my first Audi and the one I'm considering is around a 2010 or so S4. I've done some research and haven't really come across too many issues but I thought I'd ask you all just be sure.

One thing that comes to mind is the supercharger, how reliable are they and does this engine have any known issues?

Which transmission is preferred, auto or manual? I've heard that the autos have some issues that can be quite costly. Is there any truth to this or are there any other issues with the auto or manual?

How about the AWD system, are there any issues with this system? I'm assuming not since Audi has been doing this since at least the 80s.

Are there any other idiosyncrasies or known issues with these cars like with the electrical system or features?

How DIY friendly are these cars? I bought a MKIV Jetta a few years ago and shortly after I also bought a VAGCOM and repair manual. I only needed them once to check out a leak with the EFAP system but after playing around with it a bit I could see that it allowed me to troubleshoot and check most all systems. Does Audi allow DIY'ers this depth of troubleshooting or is it pretty much all proprietary requiring dealership visits whenever something goes wrong?

I'm a mechanic by trade so I know a nut from a bolt. I'm not opposed to regular maintenance but repairs due to poor reliability will get old pretty quick. I'm just looking for a little advice with some of the more common problems that I should expect to see if I do buy an S4.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) These cars have been very reliable. ALL 2010 and many 2011 came with a plastic water pump. They have all failed by now and replaced with a metal WP which do fail on occasion but not frequently. The t stats will all eventually fail, but my 2011 with 77 k has not done so yet. The early models did not come with a screen to protect the radiator and IC radiator. These are prone to be damaged by road debris. Some have paid as much as $850 to have dealer repair and it is not under warranty. I paid $450 in 2011. Since then, I installed a DIY screen for less than $10 an hr of work. No problem since then on any or my 3 B8/8.5 S4s

2) Superchargers have not been an issue. BUT, you need to remove it to get to the WP T-stat and PCV valve when those fail. And they can. So if one fails, it is sometimes prudent to replace the other components just because it can be costly to have to remove the SC multiple times for different problems

3) No problems with the quattro system, but some have had issues with the sport differentials. Not a real common issue.

4) Less than 20% of S4s have a MT. I've had 3 all with sport dif. I personally would not buy a S4 without the sport dif ,but others will disagree. IMHO, the clutch is the weak link in the drive train. But if you don't abuse it, it will last a long time. My 2011 still has the original clutch as far as I know because I bought it used. If you intend to drive the car very aggressively, figure on having to repalce the clutch with a stronger unit at some time. Plus you probably won't know how the previous owner(s) drove the car. There also have been issues with the mechatronic units in the DSG trans, Plus the maintenance on those can be expensive.

Lots of guys do work on these cars. A vag com would be a necessity. I would never use the dealer after warranty was done. I would use a independent repair center that specialties in German cars or Audi. Being a mechanic, you should be fine. These are really great cars.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DrGP, I appreciate your advice.

I've actually been on the fence over the early 2000's BMW 335ix and these years S4s. After reading about both I think the S4 would be a much more reliable car and just as much fun! The engine sure has less issues that the 335i!

So what are some of the issues that guys are finding with the sports diff? I've read a bit and all I can see is oil leaks which should be pretty straight forward to fix.

Do you have any other advice for me or things to ask the seller when I do find the right car? Specific things to check out and look out for?

Thanks again.