S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 vs C4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drrick89
Non-turbo Porsches are fairly easy to dance with. In the 5 months I've owned my S4, I've had to fend off several Porsche 911 Turbos, a Ferrari F430 Spider, and a Dodge Viper.

I can't dance with Porsche Turbos and Vipers. They crush me. But, the most recent dance with a 490 hp Ferrari F430 Spider was a bit closer. I chased the Ferrari to a stop light. I was right behind him when the light turned green and no one was in front of him. When the light turned, I stayed on his butt till 65 mph, then he creamed me. The Ferrari gets to 60 under 4 seconds, but I was right on him. I think quattro and S-Tronic helps.
Your joking I assume?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was right behind him when the light turned green and no one was in front of him. When the light turned, I stayed on his butt till 65 mph, then he creamed me.
Probably about the time he realized you were on his butt and he decided to actually punch it.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

FI vs NA. At some point the straight line speed of S4 trumps the C4S as the altitude increases. The simple fact is that you need air to make power. At altitude it is plausible that the S4 is faster than the C4S.

Last edited by NABS4; 06-11-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Probably about the time he realized you were on his butt and he decided to actually punch it.
LOL I certainly deserve a ribbing here! Originally, what happened was that I pulled up alongside this car was thinking it was just a nicely modified uber-Vet. But, when I saw the prancing horse logo of Ferrari and knew that things might soon get interesting.

The driver was a younger guy and my guess is that he was driving his dad's car. When he saw me, he took off like a bat out of h*ll. My adreneline kicked in and like an idiot I tried to follow him. He stopped as the light ahead turned red and I arrived right behind him a couple seconds later. I sat on his tail at the stop light for a good minute; contemplating my next move. While sitting on his tail, I memorized the look and configuration of his tail pipes so I could ID them later. It was a Ferrari F430 Spider - no question.

I knew this was a rare opportunity to measure or test my car, though I did *not* want to get into some kind of race. In fact, after I stomped on it with the light green light, I actually had to take my foot off the gas briefly - so as not to rear end him. So you guys are probably right, I think I did surprise him. It also looked like he had a little trouble with the 1-2 shift as his right shoulder dipped for an abnormally long time. But, once he got it into 3rd - he was gone. I looked down at my speedo quickly and it read 67 mph, so I figured I was going about 65 mph when he finally sped away.

Please Note: I do *not* advocate racing on a public road and was ambivalent about even posting this, but then this thread emerged. My only defense was that it was around 3:00, I was in a very rural area, and there were very few cars on the road. Frankly, I was surprised the S4 could go this fast so quickly. Careful out there!

Last edited by drrick89; 06-11-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I love it when people twist the truth and post such BS like your original post....

".....the most recent dance with a 490 hp Ferrari F430 Spider was a bit closer. I chased the Ferrari to a stop light. I was right behind him when the light turned green and no one was in front of him. When the light turned, I stayed on his butt till 65 mph, then he creamed me. The Ferrari gets to 60 under 4 seconds, but I was right on him. I think quattro and S-Tronic helps."

only to then come back and totally change the story after everyone calls you out. It would have been better to hear the story as it happened versus reading what was clearly NOT the truth.

Our cars are quick but not Ferrari F430 fast.... come on.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NickS
I love it when people twist the truth and post such BS like your original post....

only to then come back and totally change the story after everyone calls you out. It would have been better to hear the story as it happened versus reading what was clearly NOT the truth.

Our cars are quick but not Ferrari F430 fast.... come on.
Sorry if my initial posted offended you. I don't think I changed my story that much. I added details which clarified the situation, but maybe you read too much into it initially...

In a 0-60 mph sprint, the cars are a second or less apart. My original point, which I probably didn't state clearly enough, was that in the real world things are not like on the test track. For instance, people don't typically spin their wheels & drop the clutch at a stoplight. So quattro and the flawless shifting of S-Tronic - can make a difference.

Last edited by drrick89; 06-11-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry if my initial posted offended you. I don't think I changed my story that much. I added details which clarified the situation, but maybe you read too much into it initially...
No it didn't offend me because I don't really care. It's humorous more than anything.

And no, IMO the two stories read COMPLETELY different.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No it didn't offend me because I don't really care. It's humorous more than anything.

Understood.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

1st post: "When the light turned, I stayed on his butt till 65 mph, then he creamed me." "The Ferrari gets to 60 under 4 seconds, but I was right on him. I think quattro and S-Tronic helps."

2nd post: "It also looked like he had a little trouble with the 1-2 shift as his right shoulder dipped for an abnormally long time. But, once he got it into 3rd - he was gone." "I looked down at my speedo quickly and it read 67 mph, so I figured I was going about 65 mph when he finally sped away."

LOL. You make the call!

Last edited by drrick89; 06-11-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 81bear
Congratulations...I love the C4S! But man you are all over the place price wise? I guess you couldn't wait for the RS5? Either way I'm sure you will love driving the C4S.

Cheers
Ha ha, it was definitely a big jump in price. I would have gone for the RS5 had the car been available to order now, who know's I could always sell the C4S and buy the RS5 down the line if I get bored of the Porsche. There's always the latest and greatest coming around the corner and I don't want to waste precious days playing the waiting game. C4S goes into production on June 15th and should be here mid to late July. Can't wait.

Quick Reply: S4 vs C4S