S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

StopTech ST-60 BBK - the results

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it Neal. Can't believe the weight savings! Very impressive.

Looking forward to hearing what you think about the pedal modulation change (if any), the 'grab' of the brakes and the ability to smoothly come to a stop.

I know they are going to be unbeatable from a stopping perspective!!!

Those calipers are going to look great against your Quartz Gray!!!

Congrats.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They clear the Audi stock 18's no problem from the circumference standpoint, it's the spokes where it's damn close. Not all 18's will promise to fit - the Audi stocks are conical and the inside of the wheel is actuall larger diameter the closer to the middle of the car they get. Download their free template from their website to be sure.

If you swapped out the rears, they are not as large and wont' weigh as much, but the front rotors were 23.5 lbs stock and 320mm, the Stoptechs are 18.1 lbs and 355mm, have more mass and better cooling. You drop over 5 lbs a corner of rotational AND unsprung mass right there. You could swap out the rear rotors with stock sized Stoptechs (slotted too) and likely kill another 3 lbs a corner there, as they are smaller rotors.

They have red only in stock, but if you don't mind paying full price (their closeout deal is crazy as hell cheap) you can get them in black for sure and I think gray - http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4b8/msgs/20966.phtml

I bedded mine in on the way home, by the time I had them up to temp I was rolling slowly in neutral on a gentle slope and a guy yells "Hey dude your brakes are smoking!" I waved and said "Thanks I know!" and he seemed confused. I didn't come to a stop with the brakes applied so it was all good, drove around at 40mph for about 5-8 min with no brake use and got them back down to temp, they smell good now and have not squealed once.

Here are my dirty pics from the shop, clean ones tomorrow! I wasn't sure about the red, but I like it in the end

Clearance shot with spokes, you can see the closest point where the fingerprint in the brake dust on the spoke is moving to the center of the wheel from the "P" on the caliper.

Initial impressions are good. I never thought the brake pedal was spongy, but now it's much more firm, and responsive - remember I had SS lines already, so this is all from the caliper stiffness. Still getting used to the overall feel for accuracy in stopping, but the bite is great. Initially before it was bedded, there was nowhere near the bite it has now, so I'll let them go a few miles more before I do a more complete assessment.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
They clear the Audi stock 18's no problem from the circumference standpoint, it's the spokes where it's damn close. Not all 18's will promise to fit - the Audi stocks are conical and the inside of the wheel is actuall larger diameter the closer to the middle of the car they get. Download their free template from their website to be sure.

If you swapped out the rears, they are not as large and wont' weigh as much, but the front rotors were 23.5 lbs stock and 320mm, the Stoptechs are 18.1 lbs and 355mm, have more mass and better cooling. You drop over 5 lbs a corner of rotational AND unsprung mass right there. You could swap out the rear rotors with stock sized Stoptechs (slotted too) and likely kill another 3 lbs a corner there, as they are smaller rotors.

They have red only in stock, but if you don't mind paying full price (their closeout deal is crazy as hell cheap) you can get them in black for sure and I think gray - http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4b8/msgs/20966.phtml

I bedded mine in on the way home, by the time I had them up to temp I was rolling slowly in neutral on a gentle slope and a guy yells "Hey dude your brakes are smoking!" I waved and said "Thanks I know!" and he seemed confused. I didn't come to a stop with the brakes applied so it was all good, drove around at 40mph for about 5-8 min with no brake use and got them back down to temp, they smell good now and have not squealed once.

Here are my dirty pics from the shop, clean ones tomorrow! I wasn't sure about the red, but I like it in the end

Clearance shot with spokes, you can see the closest point where the fingerprint in the brake dust on the spoke is moving to the center of the wheel from the "P" on the caliper.

Initial impressions are good. I never thought the brake pedal was spongy, but now it's much more firm, and responsive - remember I had SS lines already, so this is all from the caliper stiffness. Still getting used to the overall feel for accuracy in stopping, but the bite is great. Initially before it was bedded, there was nowhere near the bite it has now, so I'll let them go a few miles more before I do a more complete assessment.
nice! I had black ST-40s on my B5 S4.

Bruce
Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for showing and tempting the rest of us into wanting to spend more of our hard earn money on the car. First, APR ECU then APR Exhaust and now the StopTech ST-60 BBK. I guess I better start saving or start applying for a job at MSFT.

Seriously tho, they look great. Can't wait to see them in person on Saturday.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better pics with no wheel dressing on but CLEAN.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hotness. I see the "traces" of you bedding the brakes in...

Can't wait to check em out at the GTG tomorrow!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, damn those look sweet!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Yeah, damn those look sweet!!!
Yes they do! Awesome upgrade IMO!

Hope you guys have fun today!!!