S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Those without B/O systems .. are you satisfied with the Audi stereo system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder whether the audio system (both stock and B&O) needs a break-in period? Will it get better after a few weeks?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the B&O, I'm not an audiophile, and I'm borderline wanting for more after 2 years. Get the B&O. It's adequate.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Kevin, speakers break in

Speakers contain 'elastic' components that change in stiffness as they get 'exercised' so they absolutely do break in.
How Long: that depends on the design of the speaker and if it's a tweeter or woofer. If you put some loud rock music on, turn it up 3/4ths and come back after 10 minutes, the vast majority of the break-in will have occurred.

How Audible: That depends entirely on the specific speakers, but typically the break it will change the bass the most and the midrange next. Typically, the speakers will loosen up play deeper and sometimes have more output when the amp is maxed out because the suspension is getting "looser" so the cones can ultimately move further and the speaker resonance goes down.

FWIW, speakers are also environmentally sensitive (temp, humidity). Anyone notice your system sounds different when it's 0deg in the morning?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by C7fan
Speakers contain 'elastic' components that change in stiffness as they get 'exercised' so they absolutely do break in.
How Long: that depends on the design of the speaker and if it's a tweeter or woofer. If you put some loud rock music on, turn it up 3/4ths and come back after 10 minutes, the vast majority of the break-in will have occurred.

How Audible: That depends entirely on the specific speakers, but typically the break it will change the bass the most and the midrange next. Typically, the speakers will loosen up play deeper and sometimes have more output when the amp is maxed out because the suspension is getting "looser" so the cones can ultimately move further and the speaker resonance goes down.

FWIW, speakers are also environmentally sensitive (temp, humidity). Anyone notice your system sounds different when it's 0deg in the morning?

Was wondering if you say anything about temp and environment. If you are an audiophile it can make a huge difference. I used to install and maintain sound systems for very large clubs in Philly 3-5k capacity. We actually had the processors with memory settings for different weather changes. For example Hi humidity can drastically change the bass response in a sound system as will cold with other frequencies.

Long and short I yet to find a pre-installed sound system that if compared apples to apples price wise can compete with a well selected after market set up.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It all depends on your priorities

Originally Posted by Evlengr
Long and short I yet to find a pre-installed sound system that if compared apples to apples price wise can compete with a well selected after market set up.
Evlengr, no argument from me on what you find better. It's all about preference. How many IASCA winning systems have you heard? IMHO, most
(1) have exaggerated lows and highs. Impressive, sounds better to a majority of people during a demo, but questionable for long term fatigue.
(2) are very driver centric whereas the Audi systems I've heard lately are pretty good for everyone in the car. Can you imagine being the back seat passenger in one of those killer aftermarket systems?

However, I agree that a good aftermarket system will play much louder with much lower levels of distortion and other compression effects. To me, that's the #1 benefit of going aftermarket, the ability to design in lots and lots of headroom.

But, top aftermarket systems IMHO present a completely unreasonable tradeoff of weight, cost, quality (lack of) and space that are completely unacceptable to a good OEM like Audi.

Think about the demands on the electrical system a top aftermarket system drives. How many of these cars need huge caps and extra batteries? A 1200watt system needs a 100amp fuse. Ever see one that big in a production car? Any idea the size of the wiring and connectors required to pass 100amps and still meet OEM quality/safety/durability/EMI standards? How about a 150amp fuse for an 1600w aftermarket system (common power level). Do you think it would pass OEM standards for fire hazard in a crash test? Finally, the OEM spends serious amounts of money reducing the size/weight of components to enhance performance and fuel economy. What does a high end aftermarket system weigh?

Aftermarket audio is just like aftermarket performance modifications. Most of them do not improve performance or do so but with tradeoffs that the majority of buyers probably wouldn't put up with.

I think we get good value at every option level in our Audi's. They make, IMHO, by far the best non-branded audio and their branded options are at the top as well relative to what you get from other OEM's.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've recently moved and just bought and set up my new home theater system (Pioneer VSX-52 & Klipsch Reference 5.1 surround). After dialing in that system, I've been left wanting more out of my Audi base stereo system. I've posted before about saying that the base stereo is adequate, but after experiencing an aural ephiphany, I've changed my mind.

Will a good car stereo be able to compete with a built for purpose home theater system?? Usually not, but its very clear to me how much is lacking from the Audi base stereo in my car now.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CJ_S4
I've recently moved and just bought and set up my new home theater system (Pioneer VSX-52 & Klipsch Reference 5.1 surround). After dialing in that system, I've been left wanting more out of my Audi base stereo system. I've posted before about saying that the base stereo is adequate, but after experiencing an aural ephiphany, I've changed my mind.

Will a good car stereo be able to compete with a built for purpose home theater system?? Usually not, but its very clear to me how much is lacking from the Audi base stereo in my car now.
Have you seen the subwoofer upgrade thread? I don't have first-hand experience, but you might like reading it.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
Have you seen the subwoofer upgrade thread? I don't have first-hand experience, but you might like reading it.
I have. Good stuff, that is going to be the plan at some point, most likely by a professional installer.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

By the way, the sub in my HT hits 16hz with no problem... smooth throughout the FR. I know of at least one other member here that is a musical/HT bass-head... of course, that talk is for a separate forum. :-)