S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Nail in tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most discount tire places will also offer a warranty on all the tires. I got a warranty for all 4 tires after a blowout for $100. The week after my tire was replaced I got another nail in a different tire. Luckily it was repairable, but at no additional cost. $100 well spent!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by DillonM
It is a daily driver, and I don't track the car but I do enjoy hitting some hard corners and pushing this thing to its limits when I can. I stopped at a different discount tire and he pulled the nail out about an 1/8 of an inch, to confirm that it is indeed leaking. He said he didn't even have that tire in his system so he would have to contact continental directly to see when he could get the tire. I called my Audi dealer and they said they can have me one by Monday. I am probably paying a little more going through them, but I need this fixed sooner than later so that is the route I will take. $333 for one tire! Ouch
Tirerack has some in stock for only $253. I never buy tires from the dealer or other places. They ship from Nevada, so no tax and they get here the next day pretty much. You do have to pay for shipping, though, so it might end up not much cheaper, but Tirerack also includes complementary road hazard coverage.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...nLoadRating=XL

Last edited by superswiss; 09-08-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DillonM
Noticed this while washing my car the other day. Ugh. I remember someone on here mentioning these continentals w/ 19" wheels tend to be more prone to picking up nails. Took it to discount tire and they diagnosed it and said it isn't leaking any air, and they think it isn't punctured, but if it is then it is in a spot that isn't repairable. They offered to try and remove it, but I told them no. My questions is there any harm in just leaving it? Or should I try pulling it out?
No way I would leave a nail in the tire. In this case, I would replace the tire.

Last edited by ClemsonAudi; 09-09-2017 at 05:17 AM. Reason: fix
Old 09-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
No such thing as a tire being prone to nail punctures. There is no scientific proof that will support it. It is just sheer bad luck.
I have to believe that but there must be some science behind bad luck. I've replaced three rear Michelin Pilot Power 3 rear tires on my motorcycle in only 9,000 miles. These are sticky tires, like the Contis on the S4, which might somehow increase the odds of hanging on to a nail or screw that gets run over.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twowheelsgood
I have to believe that but there must be some science behind bad luck. I've replaced three rear Michelin Pilot Power 3 rear tires on my motorcycle in only 9,000 miles. These are sticky tires, like the Contis on the S4, which might somehow increase the odds of hanging on to a nail or screw that gets run over.
Summer/low profile tires have less thickness then a all season or winter tire so they are much more susceptible to having a nail or screw 'stick'. Posted this a few things responses up.

Low profiles have a shallower tread depth which makes it easier/more vulnerable for a nail to make it through/puncture where a tire with a deeper depth might cast off the nail if it can't make it through.

Low-profile tires have a much shorter sidewall and there is less cushion to absorb impact from potholes or curbs. This can lead to structural damage to the sidewall of your low-profile tire. It may exhibit as a bulge or bubble in the sidewall or the tire can actually suffer immediate and total air loss or puncture when driving.