S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Newbie and Need some Help Please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRyu
Ah so you have to make do with the generic low pressure tire light as well? Man do I hate that on my '08 Subaru Legacy. Love it as my first car (aside from some maintenance issues) , but can't wait to upgrade for that convenience in itself along with other things.
Yep. Realistically, checking all four tires makes sense and the vast majority of the time they all need air, but if it knows that a particular tire is low, I’d prefer to know, too.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: A place where I'm halfway to getting my degree. But with life reminding me, it's not easy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Yep. Realistically, checking all four tires makes sense and the vast majority of the time they all need air, but if it knows that a particular tire is low, I’d prefer to know, too.

So I read the link that , daniel1113 Posted.

Concerns

While the Tire Rack applauds the emphasis on maintaining appropriate tire pressure and requiring a system that will warn the driver if low pressure is detected, we are concerned about the percentage of under-inflation that the law permits before warning the driver. The driver of a passenger car that calls for 35 psi may not be warned about tire pressure loss until it drops to 26 psi depending on the type of monitoring system used. Under the same circumstances, a driver of a light truck that calls for 80 psi won't be warned until just 60 psi remains. In both of these cases, significant load capacity has been sacrificed before the driver is warned.

The only way to overcome this obstacle would be to fit significantly over-sized tires to every new vehicle that could compensate for a 25% loss in tire pressure before becoming overloaded. Unfortunately, these larger tires would add to gross vehicle weight, generate more rolling resistance and increase the vehicle's aerodynamic drag. This would result in a loss of fuel economy and increased gasoline consumption in direct contrast to the government's Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) requirements for cars and light trucks.

While the legislation is well intended, we feel that direct tire pressure monitoring systems are the better means to warn the driver of low tire pressure before inconvenience becomes calamity. Additionally, we are concerned that the drivers of vehicles equipped with any tire pressure monitoring system will become over confident in the capabilities of their system and will be even less likely to confirm their vehicle's cold tire pressure with a pressure gauge at least once a month and before long trips.
My question is (to everyone who has this car) how low does the tire go before Audi's implementations of their system alert the driver? Because not to step on any toes, but at the time I do prefer direct tire pressure monitoring. But if the in direct system alerts the driver relatively quickly of which tire is low, then that is a trade-off. But their is something about always knowing what the pressure of each tire is that I like at all times. And as much as I know that buyinng any luxury isn't about saving money, having to buy new TPMS for new wheels if I had to do to be able to get the direct monitoring, I personally wouldn't mind it. But, again, if the indirect system saves money and works as it should, who am I to complain about myself as well as others saving money,
Old 01-18-2018, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

My question is (to everyone who has this car) how low does the tire go before Audi's implementations of their system alert the driver? Because not to step on any toes, but at the time I do prefer direct tire pressure monitoring. But if the in direct system alerts the driver relatively quickly of which tire is low, then that is a trade-off. But their is something about always knowing what the pressure of each tire is that I like at all times. And as much as I know that buyinng any luxury isn't about saving money, having to buy new TPMS for new wheels if I had to do to be able to get the direct monitoring, I personally wouldn't mind it. But, again, if the indirect system saves money and works as it should, who am I to complain about myself as well as others saving money,
Both direct and indirect systems warn you only when the pressure is significantly lower than it's supposed to be - something like 20-25% lower. The good thing about the direct system is that you can take a look at the pressure once in a while and identify problems earlier. By the way, these Audis aren't less expensive than their competition (if anything, more expensive...) The savings on this go to Audi's margins, not to you.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That was my point earlier...the price of the car and the cost to own it is on the higher side or at least equal to the other premium marquees, so to "save" $40 per wheel to have a direct system seems just one of those scratch your head decisions to me. Understanding the direct system's readouts are not always precise and don't always account for variations on temperature etc., it still gives you the opportunity to look at your pressure while driving vs. waiting to be told you lost 20% of air in a tire...
Old 01-19-2018, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: A place where I'm halfway to getting my degree. But with life reminding me, it's not easy.

Originally Posted by visualguy
Both direct and indirect systems warn you only when the pressure is significantly lower than it's supposed to be - something like 20-25% lower. The good thing about the direct system is that you can take a look at the pressure once in a while and identify problems earlier. By the way, these Audis aren't less expensive than their competition (if anything, more expensive...) The savings on this go to Audi's margins, not to you.
Ah ok. You're right about that.

Originally Posted by Idrive2Much
That was my point earlier...the price of the car and the cost to own it is on the higher side or at least equal to the other premium marquees, so to "save" $40 per wheel to have a direct system seems just one of those scratch your head decisions to me. Understanding the direct system's readouts are not always precise and don't always account for variations on temperature etc., it still gives you the opportunity to look at your pressure while driving vs. waiting to be told you lost 20% of air in a tire...
Ya got me there. Since I do not currently own an Audi, I can't say how much the hypothetical savings would be not having to buy the TPMS for each wheel if I were to switch wheels. And I agree these cars do already cost a set amount of money in which i believe if I were to own one, certain extra costs for what they were for would be something I'd be willing to spend based on what that cost is for and what it offers me in terms of preference vs the alternate situation.
But I'm also coming from the mindset that I can't change Audi's implementation and also currently having a car that only has a basic TPMS, anything with an upgrade sounds wonderful to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 01-19-2018, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ah ok. You're right about that.

Ya got me there. Since I do not currently own an Audi, I can't say how much the hypothetical savings would be not having to buy the TPMS for each wheel if I were to switch wheels. And I agree these cars do already cost a set amount of money in which i believe if I were to own one, certain extra costs for what they were for would be something I'd be willing to spend based on what that cost is for and what it offers me in terms of preference vs the alternate situation.
But I'm also coming from the mindset that I can't change Audi's implementation and also currently having a car that only has a basic TPMS, anything with an upgrade sounds wonderful to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
all about preference...having had both I'd prefer the direct even with the cost. Other than having to but the TPMS sensors for the winter wheels which is a one time expense, I have never yet had to replace a bad sensor. Probably just lucky, but again. all about preference