S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Show me your phone mount in your S4

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Fair point Mark and to be honest, I think I gave a similar response to a similar inquiry on the Porsche forum a couple years ago. My, how times change...

But specific to the Audi, after a recent road trip I found myself using Waze and Google Maps at the same time with no place to put the phone for viewing. I kept it in the cup holder, but that’s not a long-term solution. Even for my passenger to access the phone, reaching under the armrest is cumbersome. While I agree that some phone mounts are not attractive, the reason for my original question was to seek the best of the worst options.

DaveGee
Old 02-07-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Dave

I understand, I guess using Waze is something I would hope Audi (and others) would completely integrate into the MMI and/or interface. I use Siri (by holding the talk button until I hear a beep to send and receive text messages) to do everything I can to be able to put my phone under the armrest for the entire duration of my trip, thus attempting to not "text and drive," which is, if you believe reports, worse than drinking and driving.

Here's where I'm going to get unpopular: I want the phone's to be disabled the moment the car starts moving (other than via voice). My fear, actually, is that ALL phone capabilities will be disabled by law, thus forcing the driver to pull over and stop in order to make a phone call. Insurance companies are lobbying to literally force us to NOT use phones in moving cars. I am half in agreement -- what I want is all functions of the phone to be disabled and transferred to a hands-free, eyes-free situation. The insurance companies, I fear, will want the phones completely disabled ("forced Airplane mode") -- simply because so many people even in cars that have Bluetooth still text and drive and hold the phone up to their ears rather than using the built-in hands-free eyes-free capabilities in most late model cars. My 2005 Audi A6 had hand-free eyes-free capabilities -- here we are 15 years later, I simply have to assume most cars can and do allow any phone with Bluetooth to interface.

Most dreadful words: "Hello, I'm from the Government and I'm here to help."

Yikes.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
OK, at the risk of having you think I'm being rude, I'll ask why you would want to mount the phone -- you can just put it under the armrest if you need/want it plugged in to keep it charged. If you get in your car with a fully charged phone and drive for under 30 minutes, you could also just keep your phone in your pocket. You can take/make hands-free eyes-free calls. You can play music from your library and initiate the tunes via voice. Or you can start a playlist or you can play songs with the phone set to shuffle play.

If you listen to Audio Books, you can start your book and let 'er rip.

The "mount" looks tacked on, not integrated, certainly not OEM.

The console placement would have to lead to a temptation to look down and to the right assuming you want to touch the phone, which would seem to be the point since the idea of putting it under the armrest and forgetting it seems to not be a choice.

My question then is why bother "mounting" a phone -- to me it just looks so Rube Goldbergish. Sorry if I insulted anyone -- after all what I said is just an opinion, and if you really want/need to do this, more power to you.
I think this is a good point. It almost needs to be reminded to people, campaigns or something. I never think to use voice controls... maybe I am just an air head but I know there has to be a lot of people out there who don't use voice controls. I see it every day. I am on the road a lot (over 100k miles in last two years) and I see so many people with their head down looking at their phone going 75 mph. I get a little nervous everytime I come to a quickish stop for construction that the guy behind me is going to plow into me.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys. I have not messed around too much with the Car Play features but do have a question. Is there a way to get traffic without paying the insane $33.00 per month through Audi Connect. I miss the Traffic feature that I get through my 2013 MMI that was only $45 a YEAR through Sirius.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauly001
Guys. I have not messed around too much with the Car Play features but do have a question. Is there a way to get traffic without paying the insane $33.00 per month through Audi Connect. I miss the Traffic feature that I get through my 2013 MMI that was only $45 a YEAR through Sirius.
Sure, try here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...pires-2941112/