S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

When to do first oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I believe my comments on the oil change subject contain a suggestion or perhaps a plea to speak with the dealer (and the dealer guru) regarding the "appropriateness" of an early (pre-5,000 miles assuming "normal" rather than "severe" circumstances) oil change.

Much of the consumer literature on the subject does somewhat "dumb down" the premature oil change notion by making it a short-term pocket book issue. The articles sum it all up that early oil changes are wasteful, financially.

Other articles -- that are not about Audis, specifically -- suggest that there may actually be benefits to delaying the first oil changes for a variety of reasons (some of them dense and, frankly, arcane.)

I get my first (and every) oil+filter change @ 5,000 miles, and my dealer has indicated that is OK and actually not necessary, but not harmful. Some of the articles I have read discussing the time and/or mileage intervals for oil changes should be whatever is considered "severe" usage. I have always assumed this is due to the fact that cars are, increasingly, used in large population centers which can reduce "freeway" driving to near nil; and, even those who actually do drive on freeways regularly and frequently find themselves in traffic situations that foist stop and go driving with relatively short periods of "freeway speed" incidents.

So, Audi (and now other Premium brands) have either increased to 10,000 mile intervals or decreased down to 10,000 miles intervals. But, 10,000 mile intervals are considered "normal" conditions which, for many of us, is difficult to achieve. In my wife's and my circumstances. we make a weekly trip from Cincinnati to Columbus (round trip 200 miles, all Interstate miles) at speeds between 65 and 85. From time-to-time there are traffic situations even in the middle of rural Ohio that slow traffic to a single-digit crawl.

The difference in a new S4 and SQ5 in terms of oil consumption is noticeable. My MMI oil level (at 3,000 miles) shows the vertical bar at about 75%+ (with the message "oil level OK"); my wife's SQ5 with 2,400 miles on it still shows 100% full on the MMI oil level indicator. This EXACTLY tracks with our 2014 S4 and 2014 SQ5. My '14 S4 "drank" a bottle of oil between 5,000 mile changes, her SQ5 zero consumption, based on the MMI. She put nearly 94,000 miles on her car in about 42+ months, I put ~53,000 miles on mine in 43 months.

The point -- perhaps the only point -- is to check with your dealer's service guru (who may or may not be the Service Manager) for a recommendation. He may say, "Sure change the oil at 20 miles and then at 1,000 and then every 10,000 miles thereafter." I doubt it though.

This Audi -- for me -- our family's 33rd, is the first one I purchased, I have ALWAYS leased since I graduated college. I had intended to buy my 2014 off lease and that is PART of the reason I changed the oil every 5,000 miles, rather than the 10,000 miles which were required to maintain the OEM warranty.

The best reason, I think, to change the oil prematurely (every 5,000 miles) has some merit for "clean lubrication," however, an even more important reason for doubling up on the oil+filter changes (at the dealer) is that the car is "seen" (which includes something more than a cursory inspection) twice as often as is required to maintain the warranty.

The brake pad depth is checked, all fluids are checked, wiper blades, tires, air pressure and some "21 points" are inspected and a "grade card" is presented giving a "green, yellow, red" eval regarding what I may (you may, too) consider key areas of the car that could impact the driving experience.

The merits -- for me -- of paying for every other oil-change out of pocket, then, are lubrication related and somewhat akin to my every 6-month blood test to determine my cholesterol values.

Please, prior to a "premature" first oil change, check with the dealer. The "party line" may be "The first oil change requirement is 10,000 miles;" dig deeper, ask about adverse effects, unintended consequences, etc., of a 500 or 1,000 mile "first" change. Also, while you are talking with your dealer get confirmation about the requirement for the Castrol Edge full-synthetic ProfessionalOE oil (underscore "requirement"). If you can get clarification on that issue you should abide by the dealer's information at least for 50,000 miles. Even if you change your own oil, you can get the ProfessionalOE oil and do it yourself.

Audiworld = Often very good GENERAL information that may or may not apply to your situation.

Other "expert" recommendations/requirements = Typically the FINAL WORD in terms of what you need to do withing the OEM warranty period.

Addendum: Part of the reason for the 10,000 mile interval is the improvement in oil and the adoption of full-synthetic oils with additive packages that help with cleanliness and are supportive of the engine's internals than were previously possible with prev gen oils. Another reason for the extension of the interval is the improved manufacturing techniques that have reduced the "crud" produced by a "brand new" engine. 10,000 miles with the first oil in the car is, in part, due to the improvements in tolerances that are possible in today's best engines (including Audi engines). Finally, Audi (and BMW -- and I had three of those) require over 7 quarts of oil for a fill up; my 2012 Acura required more than a quart less and had a tiny oil filter. Our 2011 Infiniti V6, too had a small oil quantity and also required oil changes every 3,750 miles on "regular oil" and 7,500 when using full-synthetic oil. I always took full-synthetic oil to the Infiniti dealer every 7.500 miles. Acura, too, did not "require" synthetic oil, but would allow longer intervals when using sythetic oils (I believe we used Mobil 1, purchased at Walmart or Costco).

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-24-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
...My '14 S4 "drank" a bottle of oil between 5,000 mile changes
Wow. I realize that's within "spec", but my '13 S4 never consumed a drop in 45000ish miles. Isn't that interesting?