S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

2000 S4 - clicking noise from front end with driveline load/unload

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S4 - clicking noise from front end with driveline load/unload

Long story short, I hit a pile of lumber in the road, which took out my right front tire and destroyed the wheel. I replaced the wheel and tires, and threw the car up on the alignment rack because it was pulling left. After aligning the car I noticed that there was almost 2* more caster on the right side. Nothing I could really do about it as Audi doesn't publish caster specs, nor is there any easy way to adjust it.

The problem is I have this clicking sound which appears to be coming from in front of the right front wheel. We played around with it on the rack. Basically any throttle transition that loads/unloads the driveline in low gear causes this click. if you keep the driveline loaded on a bumpy road, the clicking goes away, so I'm not entirely convinced it's a balljoint.

It really doesn't sound like it's coming from the CV area, but it more or less sounds like it's coming from the engine mount area. Whatever is clicking is mounted to the frame, as the click is very prevalent from inside the car. Are the mounts prone to failure? Again, the noise is from in front of the wheel/suspension.

Another thing I noticed is that on a quick 1-2 shift, the car makes a tremendously loud SMACK/THUD noise from the right rear.

Any diagnostic tips or suggestions are appreciated. We had to shift the front subframe to get the camber correct, so I'm not sure if we moved the engine enough for engine rotation to cause it to rub against something, or what. But it's highly annoying. The noise from the rear of the car bothers me as well.

Thanks for any information...
Old 05-02-2003, 03:32 PM

Engine mounts are prone to breaking - do a search - you'll find some.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Engine mounts are prone to breaking - do a search - you'll find some.

I did a search but didn't want to say anything hoping for the best and fearing the worst... I think they may already be broken... I was screwing around on the way home and realized the shifter moves quite a bit with abrupt throttle transitions - the driveability is wierd, the driveline feels sloppy, etc.

I'd just assume replace every mount I suppose.