S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Help, I am completely stumped. Dead Speedo, waving gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, I am completely stumped. Dead Speedo, waving gas gauge

Ok guys, I have posted her a few times about a problem was having with my spedometer being dead and gas gauge floating around. It seems like the signal from the speed sensor is not making it to the cluster, so nothing on the car that has to do with knowing how fast/far you are going works. No cruise control, no speed, no odometer, no trip calcs, throttle boddy doesn't know what to be at while off the throttle. I don't know how the gas gauge is involved here, but I thought I read somewhere that they share the same curcuit somewhere, I thought, in the cluster.

Last night I replaced the cluster. Though this fixed my dead pixels in the trip computer, it did nothing to fix the speedometer. So to date, I have replaced the cluster, vehicle speed sensor, and fuel sender(don't know what the official name is). Nothing.

Additionally, my tech said he checked every wire and couldn't come up with anything. It just seems like there is something wrong with a connection somewhere. Could it be the actual connectors that plug into the vehicle speed sensor or somewhere else? I just don't know.

I don't know what to do now. Help a bratha out, man. Any outside the box solutions welcome. If there was ever a problem that needed the guns of the Navarone, this is it. SOS! TIA.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ...check your fuses?

my friend has a gti and blew a fuse that disabled his speedo, made his throtle plate shut abruptly on throttle release, and messed with his fuel gauge readings...

may or may not be the same for our cars, but examine those fuses
Old 10-24-2006, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I will give it a try. I am pretty sure they were checked, but can't hurt.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its probably the speed sensor on the diff. Its mounted on the top-rear of the drivers side, just

above the axle/universal shield on the tranny. If its bad or unplugged the speedo is dead and the fuel gauge will go to the right with an increase in speed.

Forgot to plug mine back up after a fight with my slave cyl on Stg3 install.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't forget to check the basics - verify good chassis ground. I have read of instances where a bad

or intermittently bad ground can cause some really strange problems. Relatively easy and basic to confirm.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I already replaced that sensor.

It is not the sensor itself. That was the first thing I repalced. It might be the connector, as I stated in my original post. I don't know. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Forgive my ignorance, but how would I check that?

I understand why it would be important and could be a possible cause, just not how to check it. Good idea. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't recall the exact location on the S4 - but follow the cable from the battery to where it

connects/grounds to the chassis and make sure the connection is good and tight and corrosion free. I don't think we have a ground from the alternator to the chassis, but there might be so check that as well - that one will likely be much more difficult to get to than the battery main ground.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That sucks about the new cluster not fixing it...

We talked about it before and I was hoping it would be an easy fix for me as well. I haven't replaced my cluster yet, but now I am slightly worried that it may not be the problem. Keep us updated is you get down to the bottom if it.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Check the plugs under the ECU. If one of those is loose it will cause your problems.

Quick Reply: Help, I am completely stumped. Dead Speedo, waving gas gauge