S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Suspension Woes... maybe...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Woes... maybe...

So, I decide to go for an Oil Change at the 'local' dealership. Their 'inspection' revealed about $1000 worth of problems. Yay. Both front tie rod ends are loose, again. My left CV Boot is torn, again. I think an axel was leaking too. Maybe a couple of other smaller things...

So, I guess a good question would be.. Are these suspension related? I'm still stock. Also, would replacing my stock suspension with aftermarket help with some of these issues from coming back? Or, am I just screwed?

It should be known, that I already searched the archives and came up with nothing really helpful. Also, I'm pretty much a 'car noob,' so if these questions seem retarded, that's why.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:12 PM

Default A firmer suspension would make all the components travel less...

but don't really know.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Most dealers warranty their work... not yours? (Mine does for life, do not knopw what that means.)

I do not see how aftermarket suspension would help here. I think whoever did the first job screwed up... unless you drove 50,000 miles since it.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you are indeed a car noob, get a second opinion if at all possible.

IMO, here's what I would do. And for the record, I'm a cheap bastard:
-tie rod ends- do you hear/feel them being loose? You'll know it. If it's within a dealer warranty, let them do it on their dime. IIRC Audi parts+labor are guaranteed for 12mo/12k miles. Dont know much about aftermarket tie rod ends, sorry.

-CV boot- if it's torn bad enough, you'll see the axle grease everywhere inside the wheel, it'll be obvious. If it IS torn, but minutely so and not leaking, here's my opinion- ride it out till it finally bites the dust, then fix it. But again, if youre within the 12/12 period, get on their case about it.

I dont think it's much more than them drumming up business, but do get that second opinon.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

***ding***
Old 01-09-2006, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yeah, I basically take it to Bob Moore (the Audi dealership) then take it to my mechanic.. more

to see what actually 'needs' fixing. I got the CV Boot replaced less than 3 months ago. So, if it is covered under the 12/12k warranty then that shouldn't be a problem. While I was there I paid $100 for an Oil Sensor Leak which was probably a complete rip-off, but whatever.

What I was asking is if aftermarket suspension will help with the CV Boots/Axel/Tie Rod Ends.. I know CV Boots tear every once in a while, but I think this will be the 3rd time in 6 months. And I also know TRE go out around my mileage, but the left became a problem the last time I got my oil change, and they supposedly worked on it.

Just to be clear, when the TREs go the car shudders and clacks when you turn, correct? If so, I'm fine. I have noticed no difference from when I got the car.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default clacking when turning is CV joint, not tie rod ends.

The tie rod ends will a light thud/clunk when you go over bumps that want to move the wheel right or left. As in, go over a speed bump at an angle to the speed bump, but keep your steering straight. If when the tire hits the speed bump you get a thud/clunk that sounds metallic, thats a tie rod end.

If the Audi place fixed those things last time, seriously, go crawl up there @ss about it. I can't stand work that doesn't hold up, that's grounds for gunfire right there haha.

Good luck.