S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 S6 TSB 19J1 - after effects? My car is quieter now...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S6 TSB 19J1 - after effects? My car is quieter now...

OK, so I pondered making a new thread or adding to the thread already started. I hope I made the right choice :-)

Anyway, I recently had this TSB performed on my car and I have noticed some differences about the car.

Intercooler rock screen is more like a boulder screen LOL. It clips directly on the intercooler only, and has gaps as wide as 1/4"! I was expecting something more like a screen on a window.

Software update has certainly made a difference in my transmission, but I don't think much more than just erasing the adaptation of my driving. I did not experience any of the jerkey downshifs or hesitation from a stop that others have. I guess my car had a more updated transmission software to begin with.

Here's the part that's strange. My car sounds QUIETER after the software update. Almost as if the "sounducator" is tuned less aggressively now. The car overall sounds more quiet to me. I used to enjoy the deep rumble when accelerating, but now I have to lower the radio and struggle to hear it. Has anyone else noticed this? I tried all settings: auto, comfort, dynamic, individual, and I can't notice any difference between those modes as far as sound goes either.

Hoses, clips, etc. were a non-issue. The work was performed and I can't even tell they were in there.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I didn't notice any decrease in sound after the software update. To the contrary, I was concentrating so much on the transmission, that I did notice the nice exhaust note of the throttle blip during the downshifts. I previously did not think about the exhaust note on the downshifts.

I doubt that anything has changed regarding the exhaust note, but since the active noise cancellation is software driven, it's possible. I drive my car in Dynamic for the exhaust, so the noise cancellation for the exhaust is probably minimal for me, both before and after the software update.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding of the noise cancellation is that it only attempts to cancel out the 4-cylinder sounds that take place when the cylinder deactivation is active.

I don't think it attempts to cancel out anything else--wind noise, tire/road noise, exhaust note.

When I first heard about it before purchase, I was hoping it would cancel the wind and road noise.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's what Audi says about the noise cancellation:

Which Noises Does the System Offset?

Since the engine compartment is sound insulated so
well, few intrusive engine noises reach the vehicle
interior. The majority of intrusive noises are emitted
by the exhaust system. These drumming noises
are reduced by switchable exhaust fl aps in the rear
muffl ers. An additional source of disturbance is the
sport differential.

The intrusive noises can exist up to 400 Hz and have a
noise level of up to 106 decibels.
Noises caused by road surface, airfl ow around
the vehicle, or other external sources cannot be
eliminated.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T
Here's what Audi says about the noise cancellation:

Which Noises Does the System Offset?

Since the engine compartment is sound insulated so
well, few intrusive engine noises reach the vehicle
interior. The majority of intrusive noises are emitted
by the exhaust system. These drumming noises
are reduced by switchable exhaust fl aps in the rear
muffl ers. An additional source of disturbance is the
sport differential.

The intrusive noises can exist up to 400 Hz and have a
noise level of up to 106 decibels.
Noises caused by road surface, airfl ow around
the vehicle, or other external sources cannot be
eliminated.
I wish I could hear my exhaust more - it's too quiet. My Audi S6 is cancelling the exhaust sound while the BMW F10 M5 plays it through the speakers...
Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
I wish I could hear my exhaust more - it's too quiet. My Audi S6 is cancelling the exhaust sound while the BMW F10 M5 plays it through the speakers...
I recall when looking for a spot in the fuse box to connect my V1 that there is a fuse specifically for the noise cancellation. Perhaps you could try pulling that fuse and report what happens?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I couldn't care less about how quiet the car sounds to onlookers. In fact, the stealthier the better. BMW might be on to something with their sound generation approach - sporty on the inside, innocuous on the outside. Audi has the Soundaktor device and it seems reasonable to me that its intensity should be a setting in VCDS. Any ideas, anyone?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC
I recall when looking for a spot in the fuse box to connect my V1 that there is a fuse specifically for the noise cancellation. Perhaps you could try pulling that fuse and report what happens?
Wow... that is awesome news!

I was already racking my brain about how the noise cancellation was going to affect a full aftermarket stereo system. I was thinking I would have to disconnect the microphones for the noise cancellation. If there is a simple fuse, that's way better.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
AWE exhaust FTW! That being said, if the exhaust being played through the speakers is enticing, then you like video games too much. I like raw natural sounds.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
AWE exhaust FTW! That being said, if the exhaust being played through the speakers is enticing, then you like video games too much. I like raw natural sounds.
Have to agree with Hyper, had my AWE installed a few weeks ago at AWE and the sound my car now produces now is amazing.

Quick Reply: 2013 S6 TSB 19J1 - after effects? My car is quieter now...