S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2017 S6 purchase, not a smart choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 S6 purchase, not a smart choice?

Hello,
This is my first post, but I may be evolving/growing into an Audi owner and would welcome some advice.

I am looking at purchasing a white 2017 S6 with approx 40000km (Canadian vehicle). It is at a used luxury car dealer, clean CarFax and I am told it was bought locally and has only had one owner. 15 months remaining on factory warranty.

This car is really stretching my budget, and being a family man I am torn. Is this a crazy buy? I am fairly handy but have never worked on a German car. And I would not be able to afford to have any major service at the dealer (like a complete turbo replacement). At least not in the near future as the payments will put a large dent in my budget.

BUT, you only live once, right? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2020, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

KGB, welcome aboard. It's better you confront potential outlays and understand how expensive these cars (European) have become. If you are specifically concerned about budgeting and exposure to costly repairs, Audi isn't going to be a good choice if you tend to hold on to a vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
bpp (01-06-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the honesty, feels great to be here. I was also considering buying a manufacturer extended warranty before the original warranty runs out. I managed to get 260000km out of my garbage 2006 Pontiac until it blew the head gasket. I did a lot of the work on it myself. I understand that we are talking about a completely different class of vehicles. I was also thinking about possibility of a local garage being able to do out-of-warranty work if necessary.

Is the V8 specifically expensive to service, or will it be marginally more compared to say, a fully loaded A4?
Old 01-05-2020, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts

Rusky, your garbage Pontiac was pretty simple tech and likely had all bugs worked out over the years. And if it was the 3800 V6 motor that was reputed to be an excellent power plant.

Search function is your friend. I run a /15 A6 and /18 A4 so am on AW a fair amount. If memory serves me correctly the S6 V8 motor has had its share of somewhat serious issues -- do the research and then decide. The 3.0T V6 is complicated enough that I'm a bit nervous to be without warranty at the moment (4.5 years/41K miles) but I intend to keep the car only another 2 years or up to 65-70K miles, whichever comes first. Fingers crossed that I have a peaceful 2 years/25K or so miles! The S6 motor is a whole level up in cost/complexity, etc.

Best of luck with your choice.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2020, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to say, but the maintenance costs don’t sound like a good fit. In addition to the engine, there are other key differences like big brakes and air suspension which aren’t budget friendly.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:50 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

2017 S6 will not be your friend when the repair bills roll in. You want some 'warm' performance, check out the 2016+ A6 with the 3.0 motor. There are many good deals out there and it's a fine machine to own. Of course if you can afford the S6 and the downtime when breakage occurs by all means do it. Buy a major warranty with it for your own protection though. .02
Old 01-06-2020, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree with the other sentiments. Out of warranty, this could be a pricey proposition for a vehicle, but it looks like you have at least 15 months left on the warranty which is good. Everything is more expensive with the S6, when compared to others in the line. But, if you so choose one, the S6 will reward you with infinite smiles. I have a family as well and mine doubles as a fantastic people mover when called upon to do so. You're looking at a '17 so you're getting the benefit of the facelift and factory CarPlay/Android Auto. I would also say you have at least the F oil screen as well. Remember to keep a few bucks aside for any repairs not covered, as it's not a cheap car to run/own.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the extended warranty and take a ride on the wild side with your S6! The car is expensive to maintain, but the factory warranty will take care of most non wear and tear issues. The rest is as expected with any car - tires, brakes, etc. albeit they will cost a bit more for the S6. I admire your passion for working with cars... but I don't believe your skills on the Pontiac will transfer well to the S6. Sure, you will be able to do the tires, brakes, etc, by yourself. But anytihing engine / turbo / air suspension related will require Audi and better to have extended warranty.

You do only live once... so if driving is more of a passion and less of a chore, a powerhouse like the S6 will be worth the one off headaches.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts

Bryan you might want to elaborate on your statement regarding the "F oil screen" for the benefit of the OP. I don't have an S6 -- I run an A6 3.0T but have some vague recollection of the screen you refer to having something to do with the turbos and some potential for turbo failure related to these screens. I can't recall the details though.

OP -- again, search function is your friend and you should spend lots of time on this board to educate yourself as there is a wealth of information here and on Audizine. Suggestion made above to consider an A6 3.0T in lieu of S6 is a good one. My A6 3.0T is pre /16 facelift and increase in hp -- think mine is 310 vs 333 from /17 forward and I find mine plenty quick. Might be a good alternative for you.

Best,
Jeff
Old 01-08-2020, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Bryan you might want to elaborate on your statement regarding the "F oil screen" for the benefit of the OP. I don't have an S6 -- I run an A6 3.0T but have some vague recollection of the screen you refer to having something to do with the turbos and some potential for turbo failure related to these screens. I can't recall the details though.

OP -- again, search function is your friend and you should spend lots of time on this board to educate yourself as there is a wealth of information here and on Audizine. Suggestion made above to consider an A6 3.0T in lieu of S6 is a good one. My A6 3.0T is pre /16 facelift and increase in hp -- think mine is 310 vs 333 from /17 forward and I find mine plenty quick. Might be a good alternative for you.

Best,
Jeff
You are correct about the oil screen. OP see my post #4 here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...-used-2984699/ ......and many like it when searched in the forums. With no signature or Location listed, I can't tell where you are at, but you may also live in a C.A.R.B. state (which is a good thing). Also listed in the post.

See my post #332 here for scans of the C.A.R.B. booklet... https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25372531

Last edited by BryanB8.5; 01-08-2020 at 06:20 AM.