S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Tire Selection from a Novice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Selection from a Novice

When I ordered the car, I didn't think much about 19s vs 20s, so I went with the standard 19s. Is that a sin worth correcting? Seems like I should have gone with the 20s, however when I called the sales rep that took my order, he said we couldn't change b/c the car was already in production.

What are my option? I really know nothing about tire/rims... to get the 20s will i have to buy rims/tires, or can you ( would you) put 20s on a 19rim? Before I go and talk to audi, or a some other tire shop, I was hoping this forum could educate me a bit on my options, maybe even suggestions.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope, 20" tires can only be mounted on 20" rims. 19" tires on 19" rims, and so on. You also have to make sure that the rims are wide enough to accommodate the tire width, but that's not a problem when talking about Audi OEM sizing, since all rims are within a half inch of each other in width.

Your best bet is to do a swap with someone (like me) who has 20" rims but would prefer the 19" versions due to the cratered roads we have around here.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm in an area where roads tend to be awful...they are over used, and riddled with potholes, and everything else you can imagine. This will be my everyday car, and while love the option of the high performance, I'll probably lean toward the less aggressive driving for a majority of the driving.

Would 19s be the better choice, taking away the aesthetic value.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gpj111
When I ordered the car, I didn't think much about 19s vs 20s, so I went with the standard 19s. Is that a sin worth correcting? Seems like I should have gone with the 20s, however when I called the sales rep that took my order, he said we couldn't change b/c the car was already in production.

What are my option? I really know nothing about tire/rims... to get the 20s will i have to buy rims/tires, or can you ( would you) put 20s on a 19rim? Before I go and talk to audi, or a some other tire shop, I was hoping this forum could educate me a bit on my options, maybe even suggestions.
Uh, putting 20" tires on 19" rims would not work too well as the tires would not be attached to the wheels - the wheels will turn but the tires won't. Kind of like trying to walk around on a pair of size 12 shoes on a size 8 foot. Not a desirable outcome.

Since your dealer is not able (or willing) to work with you on a swap upon delivery for a price difference, your only option is to buy a complete set of 20" wheels and tires sized to match the OEM size spec. Not an inexpensive proposition. Unless money is not a factor, you might want to see how they look and perform before you make a decision. If you still want to buy the 20" wheels/tires, you could try selling your 19" tires, save the 19" wheels and put snow tires on them (assuming you drive in winter conditions).

FWIW, on my 2013 A6, I opted for the 19" Sport Pkg. as a compromise between ride comfort and performance and I'm completely satisfied with my choice. I also have northeast potholes to contend with and the extra rubber helps to avoid bent rims and/or damaged tires.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in an area where roads tend to be awful...they are over used, and riddled with potholes, and everything else you can imagine. This will be my everyday car, and while love the option of the high performance, I'll probably lean toward the less aggressive driving for a majority of the driving.

Would 19s be the better choice, taking away the aesthetic value.
For the same reasons that I would prefer 19" wheels, you would be better off. 19" tires have more sidewall, which will offer a cushier ride and more protection against pothole damage. Stick with what your car is coming with, IMO.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm in the North East as well... bad roads, and problematic winters.

Looks like I may have fallen into the right choice with the 19s.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Uh, putting 20" tires on 19" rims would not work too well as the tires would not be attached to the wheels - the wheels will turn but the tires won't. Kind of like trying to walk around on a pair of size 12 shoes on a size 8 foot. Not a desirable outcome.

Since your dealer is not able (or willing) to work with you on a swap upon delivery for a price difference, your only option is to buy a complete set of 20" wheels and tires sized to match the OEM size spec. Not an inexpensive proposition. Unless money is not a factor, you might want to see how they look and perform before you make a decision. If you still want to buy the 20" wheels/tires, you could try selling your 19" tires, save the 19" wheels and put snow tires on them (assuming you drive in winter conditions).

FWIW, on my 2013 A6, I opted for the 19" Sport Pkg. as a compromise between ride comfort and performance and I'm completely satisfied with my choice. I also have northeast potholes to contend with and the extra rubber helps to avoid bent rims and/or damaged tires.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Appreciate the response, very helpful.

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
For the same reasons that I would prefer 19" wheels, you would be better off. 19" tires have more sidewall, which will offer a cushier ride and more protection against pothole damage. Stick with what your car is coming with, IMO.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Could very well be. 99.5% of the population admiring your car will not be able to tell the difference in any case. And sometimes a bit of utility trumps a bit of cosmetic appearance.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went for stock 19's and love it...However i did put 20 inch Vossens for a week and did not feel any difference in ride quality presumably because of the air suspension...

From personal experience u got to be really careful with parking curbs with 20's (19's are no better)... I never had any issues driving on bad roads so i cannot speak about it..

hope that helps
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove both 19s and 20s before ordering, and for me, I noticed a significant difference in ride quality on crappy NY roads. The 20s don't soak up bumps as well, less difference on flat pavement. Plus I have heard a lot of stories of bent rims from pot holes. So for me 19s were an easy choice, and I visually like the stock 19 rims almost as much as the 20s anyway.

Quick Reply: Tire Selection from a Novice