S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Tire Selection from a Novice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hl229
I test drove both 19s and 20s before ordering, and for me, I noticed a significant difference in ride quality on crappy NY roads. The 20s don't soak up bumps as well, less difference on flat pavement. Plus I have heard a lot of stories of bent rims from pot holes. So for me 19s were an easy choice, and I visually like the stock 19 rims almost as much as the 20s anyway.
I think sidewall height is more important than the actual size of the wheel. I've found that you need at least 3" of sidewall to avoid damaging wheels when driving around the NYC area. However as some have noted, if a pothole is sufficiently big, there is no tire/wheel that will withstand the impact.

The strength of the wheel also plays a huge part in whether or not it bends. I've hit a ton of potholes with my stock 19s on my R8 and the wheels/tires have held up remarkably well. Conversely, I bent 3 aftermarket cast (not forged) wheels in my BMW which were 18s with MORE sidewall. I've decided to purchase a set of 21" ADV10s for my S7, ended up going with 265/30/21 tires. That should leave me with 3.1" of sidewall, which is 0.5" less than the stock 20s. I will however, run snow tires on my OEM wheels in the winters.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in NY and chose to stay with the 19's. Bad roads year round meant I had to replace at least 1 tire every year on my cars - gets kinda old. Also would prefer less unsprung weight and rotational mass.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in CT and went with 20's....Crappiest roads and I do NOT care. I saw the 20's in person and they look like they have PLENTY of rubber.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by achan
I think sidewall height is more important than the actual size of the wheel.
Correct, but for the purposes of responding to the OPs concerns, discussing the wheel size difference is valid the since the overall diameter is the same for both tire/wheel sets resulting in more sidewall height on the 19s vs the 20s. 19" wheel = taller sidewall = more rubber = same diameter as 20".
Old 02-24-2013, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered 19" wheels with my S6. I don't see where it's a sin at all. In fact it seems like a wiser decision.

I think the 19's look nicer (given the more conservative look of the sedan). They'll be more comfortable over road imperfections. And how much will you really sacrifice in cornering performance or tighter feel of lower profile tires?

I don't know the specs for either (width, weight, offset) but think that the smaller wheels & tires will weigh less giving less rotational mass

And I doubt too many people will even notice the size difference unless you're parked next to an S6 with 20" wheels.

When I got my Mini, I got 17" rims when everyone else was opting for 18". Many ended up cursing their choice of the stiffer wheels and buying smaller rims. I even went to 16" for winter wheels, and even got a set of 15's that fit. I got improved gas mileage, and were a little more challenging in corners, which I liked.

Enjoy your decision, and the $1,000 you left in your pocket with the 19" package. If you really end up unhappy, buy a set of 20" wheels, and use the 19's for winter tires when you wear out the stock rubber.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jascooper
I ordered 19" wheels with my S6. I don't see where it's a sin at all. In fact it seems like a wiser decision.

I think the 19's look nicer (given the more conservative look of the sedan). They'll be more comfortable over road imperfections. And how much will you really sacrifice in cornering performance or tighter feel of lower profile tires?

I don't know the specs for either (width, weight, offset) but think that the smaller wheels & tires will weigh less giving less rotational mass

And I doubt too many people will even notice the size difference unless you're parked next to an S6 with 20" wheels.

When I got my Mini, I got 17" rims when everyone else was opting for 18". Many ended up cursing their choice of the stiffer wheels and buying smaller rims. I even went to 16" for winter wheels, and even got a set of 15's that fit. I got improved gas mileage, and were a little more challenging in corners, which I liked.

Enjoy your decision, and the $1,000 you left in your pocket with the 19" package. If you really end up unhappy, buy a set of 20" wheels, and use the 19's for winter tires when you wear out the stock rubber.

Just bought a new set of Bridgestone Potenza pole position all seasons, gonna yank the stock PZero summers off the car when it comes in. If anyone uses them on their S6, would be interested in your impressions (have read good things in general).
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hl229
Just bought a new set of Bridgestone Potenza pole position all seasons, gonna yank the stock PZero summers off the car when it comes in. If anyone uses them on their S6, would be interested in your impressions (have read good things in general).
When I bought the Mini I pulled the run flats off and put on a set of Bridgestone Potenza PP tires. They seemed to be a decent all around tire, but they weren't very light, and a small increase in tread width caused a larger than expected mileage drop. I don't think they were very quiet either.

I based my decision on reviews, and for a tire that could be used in most weather, is probably a good choice. But on both ends (summer and winter) you're compromising. I'll likely go with two sets of wheels on the S6. Summer tires on one, and winter sports on the other.

I'm getting the 19" stock wheels on the car and haven't decided if I'll put the winter tires on them and getting 20" with summer tires. Or just get another set of 19" winter wheels and leave the stock setup the way it came. Cost is a consideration (16" packages on the Mini were considerably cheaper than what I'll have to pay for S6 wheels)