Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

tiptronic doesn't work in D

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tiptronic doesn't work in D

I just purchased a low mileage A5 S-Line 2.0T. The manual says that the paddle shifters will work in D or S, but they don't.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wwildwwest
I just purchased a low mileage A5 S-Line 2.0T. The manual says that the paddle shifters will work in D or S, but they don't.
Make sure you're stopped first. Also be sure your not forcing shifts. The computer doesn't like early shifting. All else failes put it in manual mode. In drive and sport the computer will always take over.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I'm not a 100% sure for the A5, but normally the Audi transmission programming allows for temporarily overriding the automatic gear selection with the paddles in D and S, however, after about 10 seconds of no activity it automatically goes back to automatic mode. To stay in manual mode and use the paddles you have to move the shifter to manual mode. Do the paddles work if you move the shifter to manual mode? But also even in manual mode with the Tiptronic, the paddles are often just a suggestion and the computer still has the final say if it allows the shift you are requesting. Dual clutch transmissions and more sporty implementations of the Tiptronic in cars such as the RS7 are generally more responsive to driver requests.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm not a 100% sure for the A5, but normally the Audi transmission programming allows for temporarily overriding the automatic gear selection with the paddles in D and S, however, after about 10 seconds of no activity it automatically goes back to automatic mode. To stay in manual mode and use the paddles you have to move the shifter to manual mode. Do the paddles work if you move the shifter to manual mode? But also even in manual mode with the Tiptronic, the paddles are often just a suggestion and the computer still has the final say if it allows the shift you are requesting. Dual clutch transmissions and more sporty implementations of the Tiptronic in cars such as the RS7 are generally more responsive to driver requests.
Yes you are correct. The transmission will allow you to override the gear manually for a brief amount of time (10 sec +/- depending on the RPM's) and eventually revert back to Automatic mode. Also while in manual if you "forget" to down shift it will shift for you. I've never tried the upshift to see if it will. I do know it'll redline.... at least in my S5 4.2L