Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Where do you get your tires put on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you get your tires put on?

Just curious where most of Audi owners get their tires put on...dealership or local tire shops? Trying to decide where to get my first set of replacements done...
Old 01-22-2019, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bbox2haejo
Just curious where most of Audi owners get their tires put on...dealership or local tire shops? Trying to decide where to get my first set of replacements done...
Discount Tire in Seattle has been good to me, they will come closer to Tire Rack prices if you ask. Costco for the Nitrogen they use in their tires, wish more companies did. Does the dealer farm out the tire sale anyway? I would ask about that. Have not replaced the Audi OE tires yet, can someone tell me why you would have a dealer do it, am I missing something, thanks, dave
Old 01-23-2019, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

I use a local tire shop that has been in business for about 60 years.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Another vote for Discount Tires. They have treated me great for many years now and have even fixed tires for free that I bought elsewhere. I have never been a dealer only for parts and repairs person with any of my cars,

Not all tire shops are created equal even within the same chain. Back in college at Purdue I would never let that Doscount Tire shop even check air pressure because of bad service and workmanship.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've been using the local chain (8 stores?) that caters to higher-end cars. Have been having pretty good luck with that.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny this came up; I'm probably finished with Discount Tire as of today (and I used to work there a long time ago).

Had Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus put on the Q5, and I had to have them rebalanced (at a different shop across the city) a couple times to get them zeroed, but they were on rails after; smooth as glass! Then I stopped at another store across Phoenix one day to have them rotated (I drive about 30k miles/year), and told them explicitly to not rebalance them. They did exactly that, and left my car shaking so bad I was sure it was going to come apart. So I stopped at the shop which originally got them right, and even they couldn't get them back to zero. That began a series of about seven visits, each telling me the tires were each off between .25oz and 1.50oz; a week later, another store would "correct" them and tell me the same.

So I stopped at the store near my office and had them give a whirl. They came about as close as anyone, but I still had that droning sound with my *** end shaking, which when you drive 2,500 miles each month can get quite exhausting. They tried it again, and again a little better but hardly. So I finally called and told them I'm done with it and we're taking them off. That's when I found a steal on some A8L wheels a friend had sitting in his garage, and told them I'd pay the difference for 20s (from 18s - gross). They tried to talk me into the Conti DWS06 and not the same Pirelli, but the 50% price hike and reduced warranty isn't appealing given my monthly mileage (maybe I should reconsider but I digress).

Had them mounted today and you guessed it: much better than the plagued 18s, but still has my butt shaking at 75+ with a slight drone. On the plus side it doesn't get downright uncomfortable running into the 90s/100s as the others did, and they track much more true. So an overall win.

Long walk to ta little house, but I'm going to have another place handle the balance from now on to see what can come of it. I do my own rotations so that's not an issue. DT is just too hit or miss and I pay too damn much for the experience of an Audi ride to continue on this track.

Just my nickel.

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I've been using the local chain (8 stores?) that caters to higher-end cars. Have been having pretty good luck with that.
ETA: this is probably the wise route for me, though my nearby high-end shop isn't too pumped on me since I do most of my own work after consulting with them.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone can recommend me a shop in Philly area to install new tires?
The Audi dealership closest to me won't install tires unless I bought tires directly from them.
Just trying to not scratch those wheels.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by wzy104
Anyone can recommend me a shop in Philly area to install new tires?
The Audi dealership closest to me won't install tires unless I bought tires directly from them.
Just trying to not scratch those wheels.
You may want to post your question on the Philly board.