TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

God the dog back! But had to turn him back into the shelter the next day>

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default God the dog back! But had to turn him back into the shelter the next day>

basically I've had him a month... when i got him they said 'we have no history'

when i picked him up from animal care and control they said 'oh he's a regualar, been here june, july, august, september, and now october'

He's an escape artist... I called the shelter and they said 'oh its in the notes, they should have told you that' i was like ya, they probably should have.

My mom also came to visit this past weekend and she works with dogs in pet therapy and passes/fails them and said he's a good dog, but not a great one. She made a few good points:

1- he's so friendly he's loyal to no one
2- on walks he NEVER looks back at you, just looks forward ready to break free and explore
3- when watching tv he is on the other side of the room near the door, not right up next to you like youre the best person in the world

I want a dog i can take to the beach, let him go play and call him to come back. This dog wasnt that. Its hard, i'm upset. Its funny how attached to an animal you get in such a short amount of time.

The hardest part was he NEVER barks.. when i dropped him off yesterday he starts barking at me as I left him
Old 10-06-2008, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I must have misread "had to turn him back into the shelter"

because as it sounds, you didn't HAVE to turn him back in, he just wasn't the dog that you wanted because he didn't fit the mold you had in your mind. It's because of people like who why there are so many perfectly good animals in shelters.

You have to accept the bad with the good. In my opinion, that's pretty irresponsible dog ownership and if you're willing to adopt an animal only to turn it back in because it doesn't fit your image, you probably aren't mature enough to have one in the first place.

Go get a fish.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:59 AM

ouch
Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 AM

amen
Old 10-06-2008, 06:05 AM

Default Lef, I love dogs (always have) and have r'cvd a few "bad" dogs in my life. ALL of them turned out to

be loving and loyal when treated the right way.

Dogs take time to be trained and they take time to fit into the family.

STRONGLY suggest you take a good obedience class (not necessarily just for the dog) and learn what is needed to control the animal.

Good luck.

BTW, I haven't had my dog with me in over three years. I only get to see her on rare occasions when I visit Athens to see my wife. Even though there are MONTHS between visits, my dog reacts with pure joy every time she sees me. Very rewarding and it brings warmth to my heart each time. I really do miss my dog.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm not sure you've had enough time to seal the bond. Train it to be the dog you want it to be.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This dog was never 'happy' to see me when I got home>

just ready to bolt out the door
Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was never informed of his past>

there was obviously a reason he's always in the shelter... he runs away...

why would i want a dog that doenst want to stay in one place?

not EVERY dog is a great dog, not EVERY dog can be trained

we had a dog that attacked other people, we paid THOUSANDS to try and train it... it could not be trained, we had to put it down once it bit the neighbors kid

this dog had A LOT of good qualities, but some can not be broken
Old 10-06-2008, 06:37 AM

Default It's called bonding. Dog had a life before having you, so it WILL take time to bond with it. And,

you need to show ANY dog who really is leader of the pack. Right now, apparently, HE is the leader. Dogs respect authority and make it apparent when the "owner" isn't to be respected.

JoJo, my dog, was absolutely ruined when I met my wife the first time. Spoiled, untrained, just ruined by my then g/f. It took time, but that dog is now superbly well trained (still needs reminding with my wife, but not with me) and is just the best damn dog in the world!

You will probably catch some flack here for your decision, but that's fine so long as you learn.

Puppies are easier in some ways and more difficult in others (but IMHO, they are much more fun while they are in the puppy stage).

Dogs are great, but they take a lot of work.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was the leader of the pack, trust me>

when i first got him you couldnt walk him... he would pull>

he learned REAL fast that he couldnt do that and learned to walk next to me really well

i love dogs, i ran EVERY morning with him, walked EVERY night.

flack is fine, he just wasnt the 'fit' for me right now...

there is a certain home that he needs and what i want the MOST (more than if he was good and was with me) is for them to REALLY place him in the RIGHT home.

if i had time i would have told the shelter, I WILL PLACE HIM!

i just fear they place him to the next person that walks in because hes SOO cute and that he runs away and gets hit by a car... that scares me

Quick Reply: God the dog back! But had to turn him back into the shelter the next day>