TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Haldex Coupling Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haldex Coupling Oil Leak

Hi guys, Im new to the Audi World. I owned the 944 Porsche Tubro for about 17 years now, so I am new to these cars. We've purchased the car last month (Its an Audi TT Quadro Coup 225HP w/ a 6 speed manual). Like I said, I purchased the car last month, and I noticed there was a small dot of oil under the rear of the car. I jacked up the car and I noticed that the haldex unit (where it meets in the main prop shaft) was soaked in oil. It seems like the oil is coming from a seal where the shaft and the haldex unit meet, although I'm not sure. And if it is, does anybody knows the part number for that seal or bearing? I do not have the manual yet to get the parts number from it. I already ordered the haldex filter kit, but I do not want to change it until I fix this oil problem. Thank you in advance, and I know I will be probobly asking you guys more questions in the future about this car. Pictures are attatched.
Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2019, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you find the source of the leak?
Old 01-05-2019, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Might be 7 years later... but look up the part here - select the correct part of the globe first:
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/
The following users liked this post:
Ralph Flores (08-08-2021)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JoeKan
Might be 7 years later... but look up the part here - select the correct part of the globe first:
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/
Thans, but I don't need a parts list. I need to know what's leaking with an oil problem like in the pictures.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ulrik Philipsen
Thans, but I don't need a parts list. I need to know what's leaking with an oil problem like in the pictures.
There aren't too many of us that can tell where a leak like that is coming from without having the vehicle present, jacked up or on a hoist. But as a SWAG (Super Wild-*** Guess) I'll go with a loose filter on the Haldex clutch unit.. Or a seal on the electric motor pump. No chance of a cracked case, correct? I cannot see it due to the unfocused photos.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
There aren't too many of us that can tell where a leak like that is coming from without having the vehicle present, jacked up or on a hoist. But as a SWAG (Super Wild-*** Guess) I'll go with a loose filter on the Haldex clutch unit.. Or a seal on the electric motor pump. No chance of a cracked case, correct? I cannot see it due to the unfocused photos.
I know it a tough job to guess a leak from a picture.

I am asking OP here, because his oil leak looks identical to mine.
So he, most likely, have the answer.
It's seems to me like people keeps the answer to themselves if the issue is fixed.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your SWAG's
It's very hard to see in this area, but i does look pretty dry around the pump and filter.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ulrik, two years later, I'm having the exact same problem. I changed the o-rings on the pump and replaced tighten the filter, wondering where it's coming from.
Looks like I need to pull down the Haldex to get a good look.

What did you come up with?
Old 08-09-2021, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Ralph Flores
Ulrik, two years later, I'm having the exact same problem. I changed the o-rings on the pump and replaced tighten the filter, wondering where it's coming from.
Looks like I need to pull down the Haldex to get a good look.

What did you come up with?
I cleaned up the oil and the problem never came back.