TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

how long after painting until i can install clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long after painting until i can install clear bra?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you will hear different theories on this, but....

Assuming the paint is dry, was done in a professional way, and doesn't smell anymore, it's probably safe to do the clear bra, which will involve a dilute alcohol spray to place and seat the plastic film. Some may discuss the curing time of the paint, etc., but by the time that happens, you'll have stone chips on the new paint that could have been prevented. If it doesn't smell much like fresh paint, it's not off-gassing too many solvents to be trapped under the film. Mine was done a couple of days after it was painted, and has been great!

Rich
Old 08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default other hints on the clear bra film:

You don't need to go way up on the hood with it. Driving through some springtime bug hatches will show you where things hit the TT, which is the front bumper face, the windshield, the leading edge of the hood, and the leading edge of the roof above the windshield. The strips I had applied to the leading edge of the hood and roofline extend less than a centimeter and have offered great protection while being nearly invisible....even less so than the 6" strip they usually cut for the front end.

Remember to let them know ahead of time if you take it in for professional placement (recommended) about any mods you've done to the front (3.2, aliens or plate delete for example) because they can edit those out of the templates they use to cut the film.

Ask ahead of time for a quote, as the job seems easier than it is, and you may save some cash. Also, if you're getting the front bumper redone, for example, bring them the bumper since it's much easier to work on off the car.

I love the stuff and have it redone when it got marked up a lot, same good results the second time. A good installation is key!
Old 08-03-2007, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just asked my body shop the same thing - just as I have done 3 times before

lol... Its been hit that many times in the last 2 years...

They have all said the same thing, which is 90 days...

If paint peel's off when they take it off, they aren't going to honor my warranty so I stick to it. But like the other guy said, 90 days is a long time when you drive it all over the place! Chips etc... (shrugs)
Old 08-03-2007, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re:

Yeah,

They're just covering their ***. I've had the film removed and replaced 2 years later after the day two application and all was well. It does seem prudent to wait, but since the whole purpose of repainting and covering was to keep it nice, I wasn't willing to wait with my luck. Glad I didn't. Unfortunately, the most common reason for having to take the film off later anyway is an accident, and it won't matter then if the film pulls some paint off, it's gonna need repair/replacement anyway.. BTW, my insurance was willing to cover replacing the film.