TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Intake Hoses Came Loose Twice

Old 09-14-2015, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Intake Hoses Came Loose Twice

I have a new to me, er my son, Coupe with the "big" 1.8t. I am familiar with the engine from owning 2 A4's, but the installation (transverse) and larger turbo are both different. Specifically, in the TT, the intake run up the back of the engine, transitions into a hard intake line, back to a soft hose at the front, down to the intercooler, and into the intake manifold.

Since I have owned it, I have had the intake hose come off twice during fairly normal driving. The first time, I had literally picked the car up from the dealer and the hose at the back of the engine had come loose on the highway, when I got on it a little at 65 mph. I was dressed for a rehearsal dinner and had no tools, so called a tow truck who ended up reconnecting the hose and then followed me to the dealer. The dealer took care of it based on the fact that I suggested they had not tightened the clamp when they removed the hard intake line to replace the timing belt. That was about 6 weeks ago and all was fine since then.

My son then returned from his internship and drove it to school and has been there for 2 weeks. He called Friday night and said it died on him after a "pop". After some back and forth and a picture, it turns out the hose at the other end of the hard intake line at the front of the engine had come off. He replaced and drove off which for a computer scientist was a feat. Anyway...

My question is has anyone seen this repeated issue? Is this just a matter of 2 clamps not tightened down? Is the wastegate malfunctioning (no sign or codes)? Is there something else?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by lyleswk
I have a new to me, er my son, Coupe with the "big" 1.8t. I am familiar with the engine from owning 2 A4's, but the installation (transverse) and larger turbo are both different. Specifically, in the TT, the intake run up the back of the engine, transitions into a hard intake line, back to a soft hose at the front, down to the intercooler, and into the intake manifold.

Since I have owned it, I have had the intake hose come off twice during fairly normal driving. The first time, I had literally picked the car up from the dealer and the hose at the back of the engine had come loose on the highway, when I got on it a little at 65 mph. I was dressed for a rehearsal dinner and had no tools, so called a tow truck who ended up reconnecting the hose and then followed me to the dealer. The dealer took care of it based on the fact that I suggested they had not tightened the clamp when they removed the hard intake line to replace the timing belt. That was about 6 weeks ago and all was fine since then.

My son then returned from his internship and drove it to school and has been there for 2 weeks. He called Friday night and said it died on him after a "pop". After some back and forth and a picture, it turns out the hose at the other end of the hard intake line at the front of the engine had come off. He replaced and drove off which for a computer scientist was a feat. Anyway...

My question is has anyone seen this repeated issue? Is this just a matter of 2 clamps not tightened down? Is the wastegate malfunctioning (no sign or codes)? Is there something else?

Happened to Ballykid's 2003 TT with the 225 HP 1.8 soon after he had the ECU tuned (Unitronic Stage 1+) I'm sure was driving it calmly as if he was going to the grocery store with his Grandmother

This was the one at the front of the car. After reinstalling it really tight, it still "crawled" back about 1/4". A trick learned is with the hose off and contact area cleaned with alcohol; Coat the pipe fitting area with good hair spray and immediately install the hose. Then clamp tightly. It should stay in place. Have fun removing during service work time!
Old 09-15-2015, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll try the hair spray trick. Just out of curiosity, does the stage 1+ up the boost?
Old 09-15-2015, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hose from Charge Pipe to First Intercooler

Hi,

In my car, this hose would work itself loose, but not actually blow off. I fixed this problem through two steps. I ordered a Forge replacement hose, (which is multi-stitched silicone and a hundred times more durable), and another worm clamp big enough to secure the hose.

For a temporary fix, I used applied the second worm clamp a quarter inch down from the original one, so as to have twice the seal. This works very well and is a fix for under a dollar if you find the right clamp. I managed to pick my clamp up at O'reilly Auto Parts.

After my Forge replacement hose showed in the mail I had a shop install it (Removal of the front bumber is necessary to access the connection to the intercooler). I was very pleased by the results, the new hose not only fits on much tighter but it also looks great as a bonus!

- On another note the Forge kit includes BOTH upper intercooler hoses. The set costs $180.00 from ECSTuning.

- Leon
Old 09-15-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock K04 TT's run just under 1.0bar of boost (12-15psi) depending on the condition of the car. With a stage one I would expect it to be upped a few psi, maybe around 16-19lbs of boost.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

All, thanks for the input. I'll probably try the hairspray trick since I am running several PSI under what Bally 1 and Bally 2 are running and then go to the Forge bits if it doesn't stay together.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lyleswk
I'll try the hair spray trick. Just out of curiosity, does the stage 1+ up the boost?
Yes it does up the boost. Stock power figures for the car are 225hp and 207ft/lbs of torque at about 12-14psi of boost. The unitronic stage 1+ tune takes it up to 273hp and 275ft/lbs torque with I believe 22-24psi of boost. Like Mister Bally said, I had mine blow off the metal pipe cross pipe over the engine at the front going down to the first intercooler. To be honest, all I did was torque it down very tightly with a quarter inch drive ratchet. It hasn't come off since from normal daily drives and "nice drives with my grandmother" that require top speed since there isn't a speed limiter in the car anymore also thanks to the tune.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Popped off again this weekend. Guess my son will have a small lesson on cars since I am not there to assist. Passed on the hairspray trick and told him to torque down really hard. Will see what happens.