TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OK- new problem 2001 tt quattro running hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK- new problem 2001 tt quattro running hot

Just bought this car , it was running hot on the way home. Have so far changed the oil and plugs. Put in new thermostat, new hoses (upper and lower). New coolant. Still running hot. Can hear something running under the hood ( no fans) when I shut it off. Any ideas or suggestions. Never owned an Audi before.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"""""it was running hot on the way home"""""

confirm this with a heat gun on the water outlet hose or on the HVAC panel. If in fact it runs over about 200F it is hot...depending on ambient temp. Both fans working? With air on drivers right side fan working? Milage? P.O. ever changed the water pump (o.e. has plastic impellers and prone to beak off).

If your going to work on this car yourself a Bentley manual is mandatory.

"""""Put in new thermostat""""
must be oriented with outside "bar" vertical.

"""Can hear something running under the hood ( no fans) when I shut it off"""
shut off the motor, hood up listen and look drivers right side just in back of the radiator. It's the cool down pump for the turbo coolant line. It should stop a few minutes after you shut down motor.

Did I say get a Bently manual? Have fun.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sdupuis
Just bought this car , it was running hot on the way home. Have so far changed the oil and plugs. Put in new thermostat, new hoses (upper and lower). New coolant. Still running hot. Can hear something running under the hood ( no fans) when I shut it off. Any ideas or suggestions. Never owned an Audi before.
Buy/ borrow a VAG.com, and check the cluster to see if it's accurate. Most common problems are the fuel gauge and the temp gauge reading wrong. Their were multiple recalls for this.

Also check the coolant temp sensor to check if it is reading correctly.

Agree on the water pump. Those plastic impellers have screwed up a lot Audis and VWs.

History on the whole water pump/tensioner/ timing belt change is essential as your motor could go "bye-bye".