TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Buying Car Online

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Car Online

Does anyone have any experience with buying online, specifically TTS? I have 1 Audi dealership within 100 miles of where i'm at and their price is not very reasonable. How much are you expecting to lower the advertised price that's on the website?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought two cars online but not TTS. But I can offer a few comments, which may or may not be that helpful.

Make sure there are no regulatory issues with bringing something across provincial (my case) or state lines. My first "import" cost me a pile of money to get registered across provincial boundaries. I needed an inspection certificate to register the vehicle and it didn't pass until after I spent about $2000.00 on "fixing" the fuel lines. The second import was way cheaper (S2000 from USA to Canada) because I did more research and covered off issues like mandatory DRLs in my purchase choice. (2005 S2000 = no USA DRLs; 2006 USA S2000 = DRL was standard. Guess what year I bought!)

Get photos. Sounds goofy, but it makes a big difference. The dealer should be willing to take a whole pile of extra pics if you want them, to do the sale. Not sure about the tires? Ask for close-ups. Is that road rash? Get a pic. Scratches / dings? Get more pics. If they want to do the deal, they'll do the pics.

Get a service history, if they have it. What did that dealer do to the car to put it on the lot? If there was a pile of work, it might not have been loved before. While you're at it, get the VIN and run the car's history. Accidents? Liens? Number of previous owners? Plus you should be able to do a recall search for that VIN and see what should have been done, and what was done. If there is a list of incomplete recalls, was it loved before you?

If possible, find someone who can have a look before you put money down. I couldn't do that, but if you can, great.

What is the dealer's policy re refundable deposits? Ask before you put ANY money down.

Get the dealer to confirm in writing anything about the deal that made the deal for you. Excited about the OEM floor mats? Get it in writing. Nav system comes with discs? Get it in writing. Two sets of keys and a valet key? Full owners manual? Spare and tool kit intact? You get the idea. If there is something that made you pull the trigger on THIS deal, get it in writing. If they don't want to do that, you have a problem.

Hope this helps a bit (cuz it took forever to type). !
Old 10-23-2010, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really have to see the car in person to be sure there was no body and paint work that wasn't repaired to your standards or minor damage which wasn't fixed. Minor imperfections do not always show up in photos! At least with a newer car still in warranty you don't have to worry (as much) about any mechanical issues!

Last edited by x330i; 10-23-2010 at 06:19 AM.