TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Is the smartphone interface worth $500?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Is the smartphone interface worth $500?

Following up on my Waze post below. My Audi Service Manager says he can install the Audi smartphone interface on a 2016 TT that has the tech package for $500 (and that is after an ACNA discount). If you did not read my other thread, the smartphone interface was not included in the Mk 3 until 2017. Prices on a low mileage CPO 2016 TT are really falling because so many are coming off lease, so I plan to get one in 2019 to replace my Mk2. I only wanted the smartphone interface to display Waze on the dash but one poster on my prior thread said he was not happy with that display. I'm not a big technology guy (My iPhone is the old SE model which I love because of its size). I don't use the iPhone for music. In my Mk 2 I presently have a Clearmount for my phone when I use Waze which I use primarily for my monthly road trips and rarely around town (I'm retired so I don't fight traffic on a daily basis). All of my music is on an old Sony MP3 player which I keep in the car and play via the auxiliary jack. I enable one of several playlists when I start the car and don't touch it any more. My understanding is that the Tech package will allow me to use the MP3 via USB? I have no desire to move my music to the phone but I guess I could. On average I get 1 text and a few emails a day on my phone. The only social media I use is Facebook once a day. Seems like I'd be just as happy getting another Clearmount for the Mk 3 and use the $500 for hookers and blow
Old 12-18-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

While hookers and blow are always fun, having Waze in the display is excellent. I usually setup my GPS on the Audi and move to Waze to keep an eye out for police and hazards. I don't mind the small display because that is how I usually use the car anyway. The occasional txt message is better with Andriod Auto as well, I can have google read the text to me, dictate a reply and have it sent back as a txt to the person who sent me the text. It's pretty handy. I have no idea what you can get CarPlay to do, but I bet it is similar.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Just get the Clearmount would be my vote.

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Following up on my Waze post below. My Audi Service Manager says he can install the Audi smartphone interface on a 2016 TT that has the tech package for $500 (and that is after an ACNA discount). If you did not read my other thread, the smartphone interface was not included in the Mk 3 until 2017. Prices on a low mileage CPO 2016 TT are really falling because so many are coming off lease, so I plan to get one in 2019 to replace my Mk2. I only wanted the smartphone interface to display Waze on the dash but one poster on my prior thread said he was not happy with that display. I'm not a big technology guy (My iPhone is the old SE model which I love because of its size). I don't use the iPhone for music. In my Mk 2 I presently have a Clearmount for my phone when I use Waze which I use primarily for my monthly road trips and rarely around town (I'm retired so I don't fight traffic on a daily basis). All of my music is on an old Sony MP3 player which I keep in the car and play via the auxiliary jack. I enable one of several playlists when I start the car and don't touch it any more. My understanding is that the Tech package will allow me to use the MP3 via USB? I have no desire to move my music to the phone but I guess I could. On average I get 1 text and a few emails a day on my phone. The only social media I use is Facebook once a day. Seems like I'd be just as happy getting another Clearmount for the Mk 3 and use the $500 for hookers and blow
Old 12-18-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Just get the Clearmount would be my vote.
I would say get the clearmount first. If you don't like it, then get the smartphone interface. It will either be a little more-expensive, or a LOT less-expensive.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

All these new-fangled technology things can be very distracting when you're driving. So please.....heed the following advice (taken from the lyrics of "Seven Little Girls Sitting in Back Seat") for all you old-timers, it's from 1959:

[chorus]
All together now, one, two, three...
Keep your mind on your driving
Keep your hands on the wheel
Keep your snoopy eyes on the road ahead
We're having fun sitting in the back seat kissing and a-hugging with Fred.

Last edited by VGM911; 12-18-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a MY18 so it came with it but i still use both Waze (with android auto) and clearmount with my phone showing the JB4 gauges. Granted, i wish they could change the layout a bit int he virtual cockpit to show the android auto/carplay better or at least make it somewhat customizable but still very useable though. i dont mind the small RPM/Speedo gauages either. I use waze even daily driving in the city since you never know, theres speed traps that pops up in morning commute to work .. if it was me, i would do it for $500