Sponsored by:

clearing obd codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clearing obd codes

Hello friends,

I have a 2000 Audi. I want to clear my obd codes before I go for state inspection, but I don't know if the OBDII will say everything is fine or that it needs to cycle through all the ******* sensors and whatnot, when they hook it up for reading of codes.

Any one know if you can clear some obd codes and set the computer to the not ready for inspection status? I apologize if I don't have all the terms right, hopefully some one knows what I mean.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

So you have the "check engine" lamp lit on the instrument cluster? I am presuming you do.

Clearing the codes with an OBD-II scanner will reset the "Readiness" functions to the "Not Ready" state - something your state may use for their inspection process. In that state, your car will not pass emissions tests.

To set the "Readiness" you would have the drive the car while the car tests the emissions systems. If they are functioning within parameters, then readiness will be set to the "Ready" or "passed" condition.

Does that answer the questions you have?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, thank you for the information. I fixed the leak in my exhaust for my New Hampshire state inspection, I think this might be why a code read: "02 sensor in bank 2" or similar. But there were other codes, which I also think I might have fixed.

I will drive it and see if the codes come back on. I read somewhere that you can set "readiness" without driving it, but they didn't mention how to do this or where one might find out.

I also read somewhere that if you clear the codes for a GM vehicle it puts the computer in the "not ready" state, but they wrote that for foreign vehicles this isn't the case. That's why I asked my question.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

You are correct. You can set readiness without driving the vehicle if you have a scan tool like VCDS - a factory level tool. With a code reader, you will have to drive the car to set readiness.

Remember, that every time you clear codes, Readiness gets set to the "not Ready" condition.

The source of your information is incorrect. The OBD-II rules require that clearing codes put the car in the "not ready" condition.