A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Headlamp issue / Mechanic shop issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 04:00 PM
CJ8
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp issue / Mechanic shop issues

I really hate that my first post is a question, sorry in advance.

I recently purchased a '05 C6 A6 4.2L from a small dealer/service center. The car had been in a previous accident where the front passenger side of the car was hit. The dealership I bought the car from did the work to get this car back to road worthy.

The night that I was driving the car home, I noticed the passenger side headlamp was hunting for raccoons in trees (aka pointed very very high, for the slow kids), and the Adaptive headlights were not working and soon started showing errors on the dash.

I adjusted the lights, via the 2 white hex keys on the light, I got it reasonably close, but it seemed to be maxed on in the direction I was turning it.

I contacted the dealer and let them know what was going on. They made it sound like it was not there problem, despite the car being listed as having adaptive headlights. I got them to agree to take a look at it anyways.

I picked up the car and drove back to my house. I turned the lights on in my dark garage, only to find that the same light was pointed right at the ground. Upon closer inspection, I also noticed that there was a nice new crack in my bumper cover, right below the light.

I took a few minutes to cool off and then had a civilized conversation with the owner of the dealership. He informed me that he would look into the issue with the mechanics that worked on the vehicle, and would call me back the next day.

After the phone conversation, I attempted to readjust the headlamp again, only to find out that when it maxed out about 3-5 degrees away from where it should be. That may not seem like much, but it is comparable to driving without a right headlamp.

he contacted me the next day and gave me the runabout. He offered a new headlamp, but that was it, nothing to address the issue with the cracked bumper. I am not even sure they know how to adjust the headlamp properly or even have the computer to get everything working. I believe they physically bent the light mounts to move and then didn't even turn the lights on to check alignment.

Realistically, how much does it cost to have a replaced/properly aligned? Take into consideration that they may have bent the mounts around.

I don't want them to touch this car again, they have shown me just how bad their work is. I want to have him adjust the price that I originally purchased the car for to make up the difference. How much should I ask for?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You should file a complaint with Audi of America. Sounds like a similar experience I had with Rector in Burlingame (bay area). Took in for parking brake and they fried my MMI. Response from AoA was take your car back to shop - and my response was, that dealer is coming no where close to my car in the future.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

so a few questions for the OP:

did you purchase from an Audi dealer?
did you perform any check on the car or through an independent 'Audi expert'?
Most used cars have no implied warranty, therefore, did you get any warranty of coverage when purchased?

The sad fact is that you bought an almost 10 year old car, and you knew it had been in an accident...it's one of those things that you may not have much of a leg to stand on, if at all.

As for the headlight...if the person is willing to replace it...do it! The cost of a replacement adaptive headlight is quite a bit (about $500 used).

Also, you should get yourself a VCDS Ross-tech cable so you can make adjustments to the car (i.e. headlight adjustments).
Old 09-25-2014, 02:22 PM
CJ8
AudiWorld Newcomer

Raj99, I didn't purchase it from an Audi Dealer or have it inspected. Won't be making that mistake again.

As far as the headlamp, I purchased it under the assumption that it was working condition. It was advertised as such, so legally I am in the right.

The crack happened in their shop when they were working on it. The crack was not there when I purchased it, and I have photos to prove.

But either way, after quite a few conversations with them, I was able to get him to see it through my eyes, so everything is alright.