Dropping transmission on 12v

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping transmission on 12v

I'm thinking of installing my new clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate in a week or two and I'm wondering if anyone can give me pointers on dropping the tranny. I've done this on 1.8T's and it's a PITA.

Is there anything I need to remove under the hood? I remember on the 1.8Ts I had to remove the turbo and downpipe and some other things. How about the 12v? I'm hoping I only have to unbolt the tranny from the back of the engine (can I get to those easy enough?).

Any input or link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 03:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Dropping transmission on 12v

I did my tranny 2 weeks ago and all i can say is that it's easier on a lift. It'll be really hard on the ground unless you want to remove your engine to access your tranny. You'll need a few friends and free pizza to feed them. Remove 2 front tires. Need to remove exhaust system starting from down pipes and unclip all your o2 sensors. Then the heat shields to expose drive shaft. You'll need a 12point (forgot what size)to unbolt the driveshaft (easier with power tool) You then need to remove your two front axles on the inner side and the heat shields on top of it. There are left and right tranny mounts held with two 13mm and i think 17mm in the middle that you want to unbolt. Remove the slave cylinder and the shift linkages. Now unless you have access to the upper bolts on the top side of the tranny (usually with minimum intake stuff and wiring) you can tilt down your engine by losing the front lower engine mount bolts and unbolting the rear sub frame bolts (mine was the DTS Bar location) ... make sure you don't do it all the way but just enough slack to reach those harder angle bolts with a really long extension with a wabbly. There are a few that you'll swear at.. i promise.. Check to see what else is connected and then start separating. You'll then have access to the clutch and flywheel. Pretty much do everything in reverse to put things back. Heheh sorry quick info version.

Taking our chill time, 2 friends, and a lift took us 5 to 6 hours to do the tranny swap. Its not hard but I wouldn't recommend it if your trying to do this on the ground but if you have too... I would just take the engine off.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default when I did it on a 1.8T the jacks we're way behind the jackpoints so the front was quite high up

it worked ok, dropped it down on my tranny jack, to reinstall I couldn't get it to line up and wound up just putting it on my chest and lifting it up.

Sounds similar.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: when I did it on a 1.8T the jacks we're way behind the jackpoints so the front was quite high up

Well if your strong enough to lift the tranny and b*tch handle that thing hehehe.. then go for it
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did I mention I was sore for 5 days afterwards?