A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Allroad OEM Tire Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, I did my due diligence and ordered a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ - high, not ultra high performance tires from Tire Rack. I'm pretty anxious to get them on and do some driving in a couple of days.
One set of Continental tires -5500 miles - $125.00 and ready for pick up later in the week.............................................. ................................

Last edited by bob m; 07-05-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with the other drivers who have had the Allroad squirm on etched concrete. We have a lot of that in Minnesota to help break up ice before it forms into sheets, but the squirming of the tires to try and follow these groves in the concrete was more than I could have imagined.

Frankly, I've been very happy with the quietness of the OEM Continentals, but for a guy who has had Michelin tires on every other car/truck I've owned, I was expecting it would be my replacement tire. Now this discussion has me wondering if I will buy new Michelins before winter snow or go with a set of dedicated snow tires and start the tire cycling process until these Continentals become replaceable.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MinnesotaRob
I'm with the other drivers who have had the Allroad squirm on etched concrete. We have a lot of that in Minnesota to help break up ice before it forms into sheets, but the squirming of the tires to try and follow these groves in the concrete was more than I could have imagined.

Frankly, I've been very happy with the quietness of the OEM Continentals, but for a guy who has had Michelin tires on every other car/truck I've owned, I was expecting it would be my replacement tire. Now this discussion has me wondering if I will buy new Michelins before winter snow or go with a set of dedicated snow tires and start the tire cycling process until these Continentals become replaceable.
I hear you about quietness of these tires and it will probably be something I will miss. I'm getting the Michelins swapped out later today and am anxious - and hoping by the reviews and comments that the increased performance, wet weather handling, braking, etc will more than make up for the increases in noise and comfort. But I don't expect them to be loud screamers and uncomfortable either. All tires are compromises somewhere, it's where your priorities are.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MinnesotaRob

I took delivery in December, so I put a set of snow tires on right away (but not before I noticed how bad the Contis are). I tried to live with the stock tires for the summer with the plan to get some value out of them. I got about 1,500 miles on them (about 3 weeks) after I took the snow tires off, but I just couldn't live with them any more as it was killing the joy of driving the car. The last straw for me was crazy hydroplaning in light rain on a road trip.

My suggestion would be that if you're happy with the car overall with the Conti's on then try to get your money out of the stock tires. The new tires don't eliminate the tram lining completely (these tires are too wide for that), but it did go back to expected/acceptable levels with either my snow tries or the A/S 3+ I put on to replace the Contis.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

We swapped for the Michelin Premier A/S and do not find them noisier. We did not go for the Pilots as we wanted longevity and some snow ability. We live in Florida and spend time in the NC mountains where we sometimes see snow. Still get a bit of tramlining but nothing like the manic squirming we were getting. Wet weather performance is sooooo much better. No more hydroplaning.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW, took a quick ride on the Michelin Pilots that I bought today and I did notice a difference in ride and handling. Not enough miles to give a proper review, but initial impression is that in a word or two - crisper/tighter handling. Going to be driving a couple of hundred miles - probably in the rain tomorrow and about 450 miles next week to the Adirondacks - just about all highway driving, so I can offer a more informed opinion of the new tires.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
BTW, took a quick ride on the Michelin Pilots that I bought today and I did notice a difference in ride and handling. Not enough miles to give a proper review, but initial impression is that in a word or two - crisper/tighter handling. Going to be driving a couple of hundred miles - probably in the rain tomorrow and about 450 miles next week to the Adirondacks - just about all highway driving, so I can offer a more informed opinion of the new tires.
How do you like the new tires?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CoMeader
How do you like the new tires?
I like them a lot. Especially confidence inspiring in the rain - which adds to a less stressful ride in that condition. Better cornering. It may be a little louder that the Conti's but certainly worth the tradeoff. I will say it again - I think Audi is doing their customers a disservice by not sourcing the best tires available. I am not saying to supply with ultra high performance tires - but the best touring tires should be standard It not only adds to the overall performance and tighter handling, but most importantly to increased safety.

Last edited by bob m; 07-26-2017 at 04:51 PM.