Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues

 
Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 PM
  #11  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 238
Default

Are the wiper arms at all interchangeable between (8D9 953 503 A) and (4D0 953 503 B)? I see a lot of the (4D0 953 503 B) arms on ebay but haven't been able to find the (8D9 953 503 A) at all.
moloveshisaudi1254 is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 AM
  #12  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,021
Default

Originally Posted by moloveshisaudi1254 View Post
Are the wiper arms at all interchangeable between (8D9 953 503 A) and (4D0 953 503 B)? I see a lot of the (4D0 953 503 B) arms on ebay but haven't been able to find the (8D9 953 503 A) at all.
I believe not, I am looking at the photos of 96, 97 wiper stalk and looks like the connections are different, but I can't located photo for 4D0 953 503 B to compare it, they just show front not the back, but here is the photo of the 96/97 wiper stalk just in case

the beige connector on the right side with 4 pins is for multi switch selection
audifirst is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
  #13  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10
Default

I have 2 A4 Avants- one is an early 99, and one is a 99.5. the early 99 has the LCD readout, and the late does not- I want ot swap- other than the pins mentioned, and the stalk, is there anything else that needs to be added? will all of the MFA controls work?
cruciform is offline  
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 AM
  #14  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,021
Default

Originally Posted by cruciform View Post
I have 2 A4 Avants- one is an early 99, and one is a 99.5. the early 99 has the LCD readout, and the late does not- I want ot swap- other than the pins mentioned, and the stalk, is there anything else that needs to be added? will all of the MFA controls work?
Are you planning to upgrade to cluster with digital clock or you will stay will analog clock with full LCD?
With analog clock it will be easier since it will fit to existing harness, if you go with digital clock you will need to move wires from the existing "red plug" harness to "grey plug harness" on new cluster + additional wiring for the wiper stalk , as far of requirements of parts
beside cluster, wiper stalk, and wires, there is possibility that you need to purchase the plug connector for the wiper stalk, I am waiting for on individual to email me if the connector is there or needs to be purchased
audifirst is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 AM
  #15  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10
Default

they both have the analog clock- One has the Full LCD in the middle while the other only has the lights in the middle of the cluster.

I want to make the MFA functional (with fuel milegage, etc)

Are the sensors present on both cars, or will I need to do a lot more wiring to the car the currently does not have the big LCD in the cluster?

let me know what you find out- I'm going to do a swap soon, but want to go in with all the needed parts.



Originally Posted by audifirst View Post
Are you planning to upgrade to cluster with digital clock or you will stay will analog clock with full LCD?
With analog clock it will be easier since it will fit to existing harness, if you go with digital clock you will need to move wires from the existing "red plug" harness to "grey plug harness" on new cluster + additional wiring for the wiper stalk , as far of requirements of parts
beside cluster, wiper stalk, and wires, there is possibility that you need to purchase the plug connector for the wiper stalk, I am waiting for on individual to email me if the connector is there or needs to be purchased
cruciform is offline  
Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 PM
  #16  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Hi, i have been trying to find a used cluster (I think I have cluster 2) but the only clusters i can find are the ones without the lcd display. How can I find a used cluster with the lcd display, or is there a way i can get mine fixed. the problem is the lcd display is all messed up and cannot read the top half of the display. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
yvesterbrown is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
  #17  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 238
Default

If your cluster is malfunctioning you can send it to www.modulemaster.com to get it fixed for about $200. You might be able to find replacement clusters on eBay but it is really a hit and miss if they work or not and weather you find the exact one you need. If you go the eBay route you might have to settle for a non-LCD cluster, although I saw some cluster-2's with LCD just a week ago on ebay.
moloveshisaudi1254 is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM
  #18  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 117
Default

Originally Posted by yvesterbrown View Post
Hi, i have been trying to find a used cluster (I think I have cluster 2) but the only clusters i can find are the ones without the lcd display. How can I find a used cluster with the lcd display, or is there a way i can get mine fixed. the problem is the lcd display is all messed up and cannot read the top half of the display. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Try www.pixelfix.info, they do excellent job.
9918tcar is offline  
Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 AM
  #19  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Default Hello

Hello from Romania, my English is not so good but I want to help me with a problem. I had changed the instrument cluster because they do not have board computer.I installed a cluster with trip computer Istrument but I did change the 26 pin to 32 pin, after the change, I noticed that diesel fuel indicator, indicates reverse, if the indicator shows full tank is empty and vice versa.Please help me.My car is an audi a4 b5 tdi 1995
tavy is offline  
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 AM
  #20  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Default

Hello from Romania, my English is not so good but I want to help me with a problem. I had changed the instrument cluster because they do not have board computer.I installed a cluster with trip computer Istrument but I did change the 26 pin to 32 pin, after the change, I noticed that diesel fuel indicator, indicates reverse, if the indicator shows full tank is empty and vice versa.Please help me.My car is an audi a4 b5 tdi 1995 Have nice day
tavy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: