A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the wiper arms at all interchangeable between (8D9 953 503 A) and (4D0 953 503 B)? I see a lot of the (4D0 953 503 B) arms on ebay but haven't been able to find the (8D9 953 503 A) at all.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moloveshisaudi1254
Are the wiper arms at all interchangeable between (8D9 953 503 A) and (4D0 953 503 B)? I see a lot of the (4D0 953 503 B) arms on ebay but haven't been able to find the (8D9 953 503 A) at all.
I believe not, I am looking at the photos of 96, 97 wiper stalk and looks like the connections are different, but I can't located photo for 4D0 953 503 B to compare it, they just show front not the back, but here is the photo of the 96/97 wiper stalk just in case

the beige connector on the right side with 4 pins is for multi switch selection
Old 01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 2 A4 Avants- one is an early 99, and one is a 99.5. the early 99 has the LCD readout, and the late does not- I want ot swap- other than the pins mentioned, and the stalk, is there anything else that needs to be added? will all of the MFA controls work?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cruciform
I have 2 A4 Avants- one is an early 99, and one is a 99.5. the early 99 has the LCD readout, and the late does not- I want ot swap- other than the pins mentioned, and the stalk, is there anything else that needs to be added? will all of the MFA controls work?
Are you planning to upgrade to cluster with digital clock or you will stay will analog clock with full LCD?
With analog clock it will be easier since it will fit to existing harness, if you go with digital clock you will need to move wires from the existing "red plug" harness to "grey plug harness" on new cluster + additional wiring for the wiper stalk , as far of requirements of parts
beside cluster, wiper stalk, and wires, there is possibility that you need to purchase the plug connector for the wiper stalk, I am waiting for on individual to email me if the connector is there or needs to be purchased
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

they both have the analog clock- One has the Full LCD in the middle while the other only has the lights in the middle of the cluster.

I want to make the MFA functional (with fuel milegage, etc)

Are the sensors present on both cars, or will I need to do a lot more wiring to the car the currently does not have the big LCD in the cluster?

let me know what you find out- I'm going to do a swap soon, but want to go in with all the needed parts.

Originally Posted by audifirst
Are you planning to upgrade to cluster with digital clock or you will stay will analog clock with full LCD?
With analog clock it will be easier since it will fit to existing harness, if you go with digital clock you will need to move wires from the existing "red plug" harness to "grey plug harness" on new cluster + additional wiring for the wiper stalk , as far of requirements of parts
beside cluster, wiper stalk, and wires, there is possibility that you need to purchase the plug connector for the wiper stalk, I am waiting for on individual to email me if the connector is there or needs to be purchased
Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, i have been trying to find a used cluster (I think I have cluster 2) but the only clusters i can find are the ones without the lcd display. How can I find a used cluster with the lcd display, or is there a way i can get mine fixed. the problem is the lcd display is all messed up and cannot read the top half of the display. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

If your cluster is malfunctioning you can send it to www.modulemaster.com to get it fixed for about $200. You might be able to find replacement clusters on eBay but it is really a hit and miss if they work or not and weather you find the exact one you need. If you go the eBay route you might have to settle for a non-LCD cluster, although I saw some cluster-2's with LCD just a week ago on ebay.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yvesterbrown
Hi, i have been trying to find a used cluster (I think I have cluster 2) but the only clusters i can find are the ones without the lcd display. How can I find a used cluster with the lcd display, or is there a way i can get mine fixed. the problem is the lcd display is all messed up and cannot read the top half of the display. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Try www.pixelfix.info, they do excellent job.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hello

Hello from Romania, my English is not so good but I want to help me with a problem. I had changed the instrument cluster because they do not have board computer.I installed a cluster with trip computer Istrument but I did change the 26 pin to 32 pin, after the change, I noticed that diesel fuel indicator, indicates reverse, if the indicator shows full tank is empty and vice versa.Please help me.My car is an audi a4 b5 tdi 1995
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello from Romania, my English is not so good but I want to help me with a problem. I had changed the instrument cluster because they do not have board computer.I installed a cluster with trip computer Istrument but I did change the 26 pin to 32 pin, after the change, I noticed that diesel fuel indicator, indicates reverse, if the indicator shows full tank is empty and vice versa.Please help me.My car is an audi a4 b5 tdi 1995 Have nice day

Quick Reply: Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues