A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

1.8t Quattro Tip Transmission problem after Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8t Quattro Tip Transmission problem after Engine swap

I've checked this and other forums and done extensive searching only to have come up with similar, but not exact, answers/symptoms to the problem I'm having.

My 2004 1.8t after 56k decided a rod and piston should get divorced and took out the block in the process. I sourced a used motor with comparable miles from a 2005 auto car. I installed the motor myself knowing that seating the Torque converter properly is imperative to not fragging the transmission pump. I seated and reseated the TC until I felt confident that it was at it's absolute seating. When I mated the motor to the transmission, it went together very easily and I did not have to draw the two together with bolts at all. I did not lose any Trans fluid in the swap, avoided it at all costs since adjusting levels is a PITA. The Transmission worked prior to engine replacement. I did have an occasion in the winter where It went into limp mode, took it to Trans shop and they couldn't get it to replicate, said it had a Range selector code but it was working fine after the fact. No problems for a couple months until now.

Now the motor is back in the car now and it started up first try. I was totally psyched about that. Put the car in gear, nothing. Tried every other gear, nothing. Have reverse lights when Reverse is selected. Rev'd the motor, nothing. Then the PRDS goes solid... okay limp mode right? CEL on, shows P0730 code. The ESP/Trac light is on as well (I think thats related to battery disconnect and lack of rolling after reconnecting). So I clear codes and check wires at transmission connection and also the wires I connected at firewall to body, as well as TCM connector. I've checked blown fuses as well. Cross my fingers and start it up again, nothing. but no new codes. I then complete Throttle Body Manual calibration, no change. I then put it in gear and rev the P*** out of it it goes into Limp Mode again with CEL. This time there's P0811 and P0730 together.

So now:
P0811 Excessive Clutch Slippge

P0730: Incorrect Gear Ratio

and I have Chassis codes

C02DA

C032B

Again, the transmission worked before I blew the motor. I am waiting on a VAG reader to come in the mail as well as a Trans Range Sensor/NSS, on the hopes that I can get some TC readings from VAG or maybe the problem in the winter so happens to have caught up with me at a coincidental time.

Anyone know what the Chassis codes are? Anyone ever had similar problems? Is the 2004 wiring harness pinned differently then the 2005? Is the TCM bad? (I've read if it goes into limp mode the TCM is likely not the problem)

Again I am not convinced the TC/Trans is suddenly bad.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ditto!

Please tell me you found a solution! I am in the same boat after replacing my block!!