A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Installating a nav system? Need some major guidance here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installating a nav system? Need some major guidance here.

Hi guys,
Basically I wondering about two things here: the Audi Nav system, and other aftermarket ones.

Ideally, yes, I would rather pursue all Audi-manufactored solutions since it would at least cosmetically blend in the best in the dashboard, no?

Have people still been pursuing fitting their A4's with the Audi Nav system? What kind of price range is it at now? Still about $2,500 for the unit? I sent Avalon Motorsports an inquiry message about it a second ago. Would this be the best way to go?

If not, has anyone looked into other brands of navigation systems? Pioneer, Alpine, etc etc? I am most worried about how these would match and fit in flush cosmetically with the rest of the interior. I value interior way too high lol, and believe Audi makes one of the best in the business. It's my priority to not change this and screw things around.

Well I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about anymore so any insight/guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Elder Member

search is your friend. look at pioneer,kenwood,alpine they all look good
Old 08-07-2003, 10:25 AM

Default What is good exactly?

Where will it fit or be placed in the dash? To me, unless it fits in 95% flush with the rest of the console (feel, look, lights, etc), I don't really want it installed in and would rather skip it.
:-/
Old 08-07-2003, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Chk out Kenwood DVD-Nav, its better and cheaper than most aftermarket ones

At crutchfield its $1500 I think, some retail stores may sell it for cheaper if they buy and install in bulk. the unit does come with a remote if you only want the 7". the 8" touchscreen is nice though. $s for the 7 are about $600 and the 8 about 800-900. Install will prob be about 2-3 hrs worth of labor.

At some point over the next 6 months, I am planning on upgrading to the Kenwood.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:42 AM

Default Cool, I will check it out. Question re: stores + products...

I live in around Media, PA. That probably doesn't really help anyone, but areas nearby that might are King of Prussia, Bryn Mawr, etc.

Am just curious for anyone in my own area, or what stores should I be checking out? I was thinking Tweeter, they have the Alpine DVD one there, but that's all they list (at least on their website... (http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1217923&cp=1124470&par entPage=family)

Basically I'm curious for stores that will both sell and install the systems that are near me. Best Buy? Anyone know of any places to check out?

I actually had a Kenwood CD unit installed on our old '99 Passat. Was very pleased with the outcome, it matched the dash in both day/night time, even the lights were able to be changed to a red/blue scheme to perfectly mold in. Was impressed, so I'd like to check out how they compare in terms of nav then too.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry don't know much about PA

However if you look around in your area or even contact Kenwood direct for a list of resellers or installers they may be able to help you. I was comparing Alpine vs. Kenwood, the Kenwood's DVD database is basically the best bang for the buck. Its database is bigger and covers Canada (not just portions like Alpine) ie if you ever travel up there.

Best Buy does not market high-end DVD nav, only Garmin type models I think. Or you could just ask the salesmen there. They are usually young ppl who know where to get high-end stuff.

If you can swing it, I think you should go for the 8" touchscreen by Kenwood. Its worth it.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Where is the display mounted? Or is it the flip? I'm looking around for NAV also..
Old 08-07-2003, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Where is the display mounted? Or is it the flip? I'm looking around for NAV also..

well you can replace the factory HU with a new flip HU, or get the monitor seperately and mount it on the dash or somewhere near the glove box.