A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Tire blow out................no problem with Falken.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire blow out................no problem with Falken.......

On the way to work I ran over some crap on the Interstate, heard it hit the underneath. Doing 85 mph. The car felt slightly off in the handling, put it down to wind. Ran another 15 minutes to work and found I had a flat in the rear. A puncture the size of half a Nickel in one of the rain grooves. No damage to my 19" rim. Says a lot for Falken ST-115's seeing as they are not a run flat. Called Max at Edge and he has two ready to go for me. Liked the Falkens before this, like them even more now.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:30 AM

Default I had a similar experience... but with Kumho Ecsta Supra's on my VW

and with 18's though. I was doing about the same speed, or higher, when I heard a loud noise (impact) which sounded like it was in the wheel well. Wasn't sure at first what it was. Then when I changed lanes, I could feel the car was "sloppy" in handling. I realized it must be a flat. I lowered my speed to about 65 mph and kept driving a mile or two and exited. I pulled off and found a parking lot. Sure enough, my rear driver side tire was flat. Funny too, as it looked like a rubber band between the wheel and pavement. I was surprised I had a tire there still with how fast I was driving.
The whole was pretty big too (a good 1/2" hole). Something just puched into it and ripped right through, between the treads. Had it fixed and the tire is still going thousands of miles later.

This was the only time I had ever had a flat at high speeds and thankful for that. A good experience though, to show how a low profile tire can actually help in a blow out situation. Whereas, when you see truck tires, or larger profile tires go, they just disintegrate between the wheel and the road and you have no control.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hate FALKENS!!!!! the worst tire EVER...absolutly no rim guard and $hitty ride!!!!!

Got new 19 Sumitomos...they are 150% better, ill never by Falkens again..and they came with the stupid Sportecs that i ordered from SPP that screwed up the order in the first place...probably some "deal" they got from Falken and sold them to me with the wrong rims too....what losers!!!!!