A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 A4 coding tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ReLLiK75
Has anyone with a quatro noticed that the AWD setting is set to off in the adaptations ? I forget what module it was under, but I was playing around with OBD11 today and came across this.

Any idea why a quatro would have this set to off?
There are many intertwined codings and adaptations, and just because something with a label is in the off state in one (unnamed) module, it doesn't mean the car isn't running with that function.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
You can do long coding in two ways:
1) common long coding can be done by named functions (I think this might be what VCDS calls "long coding helper"?)

2) all long coding can be done by individual bytes/bits if you know what bits to change

OBD11 also does adaptations.

No, you don't need apps for any of this. The apps are there to do changes that you probably could do yourself, but require many, many steps. The app just runs through them automatically. There are very few apps available for the new Audi platforms. The only one I'm aware of is for Video in Motion.

I've only used OBD11, not VCP or VCDS. There are members here that use all three, so perhaps they'll chime in with more info on the differences.

My VCDS will also let me change the bytes/bits but the problem is i don't know what each represents. In general though the HEX-CAN is probably not the right interface for this new platform so any input from the OBDeleven people is appreciated.

My immediate desires are to:

1. Remove seat belt light
2. Disable side amber lights (as in Rest of World setting)
Old 01-03-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
My VCDS will also let me change the bytes/bits but the problem is i don't know what each represents. In general though the HEX-CAN is probably not the right interface for this new platform so any input from the OBDeleven people is appreciated.

OBD11 has a section where the bit/byte coding is in English. But not all settings are listed. Better than just 0's and 1's, but not anywhere near comprehensive.

I have seen coding for disable seat belt chime, but not either of the two things you list.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OBD11 has a section where the bit/byte coding is in English. But not all settings are listed. Better than just 0's and 1's, but not anywhere near comprehensive.

I have seen coding for disable seat belt chime, but not either of the two things you list.
yea thats what i meant. Seat belt chime. For $60 ill give it a go and keep it in the car as a supplement to my Vag com at home.

If you know which bit/byte to change for the seat belt, i'd appreciate it
Old 01-03-2017, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yea thats what i meant. Seat belt chime. For $60 ill give it a go and keep it in the car as a supplement to my Vag com at home.

If you know which bit/byte to change for the seat belt, i'd appreciate it
See here:

Q7 (4M) Coding

This is for the Q7, but should be the same for the B9 A4 platform.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

The coding for Side lights is in 09 - Central Electrics, I can't remember the label but it was something like Side marker off at side light
Old 01-03-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
The coding for Side lights is in 09 - Central Electrics, I can't remember the label but it was something like Side marker off at side light
you saw this in the coding with OBDeleven? Will try it
Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

See here:

Q7 (4M) Coding

This is for the Q7, but should be the same for the B9 A4 platform.
its different. My bit 2 was unchecked where for Q7 they say to uncheck it if you want to disable the chime.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you saw this in the coding with OBDeleven? Will try it
Anxious to hear if this works for you jetsfan101. This is one of the main things I'd like to change (disable small LED orange side marker lights in headlight housing) so that the new A4 signature white light look/shape is uninterrupted. I thought about putting a small piece of black electrical tape over each LED but fortunately that hokey idea only lasted a second
Old 01-03-2017, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiD
Anxious to hear if this works for you jetsfan101. This is one of the main things I'd like to change (disable small LED orange side marker lights in headlight housing) so that the new A4 signature white light look/shape is uninterrupted. I thought about putting a small piece of black electrical tape over each LED but fortunately that hokey idea only lasted a second
You should be able to code it off. Since I believe, the first batches of cars came with it disabled and there was a tsb/recall where they probably coded it to be on.

Quick Reply: 2017 A4 coding tweaks