A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

:: ECS Tuning :: Huge Gains For Your B9 A4! | APR Direct Port Software

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A8LNYC
The same engine can have different power outputs in different regions of the world from or Trims the factory, Audi A8 & S8, VW EA888 engine used in the Golf R, GTI, Audi A3,S3 some internals will be different

Lots of people over 150K miles with their tuned engine with no issues (not with B9 A4 of course) but APR in particular do lots of R&D before releasing their tune, just to give an idea with APR stage 1 on a VW GTI can give you 78 to 87HP ( more or less) gain over stock just with a flash .
Stage 3+ with supporting mods and hardware makes about 480HP on a 2.0 4 cylinder engine. % of issues is low. also a tune will not rob you of fuel economy unless you go crazy
now I will not tune my A4 because the power is good for a DD.
it is a lease and do not put money on leases that is a waste of money
+1!

Yes, there is risk but adds a ton of fun bringing the car to full potential gaining close to S engine performance at a lower investment.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A8LNYC
The same engine can have different power outputs in different regions of the world from or Trims the factory, Audi A8 & S8, VW EA888 engine used in the Golf R, GTI, Audi A3,S3 some internals will be different

Lots of people over 150K miles with their tuned engine with no issues (not with B9 A4 of course) but APR in particular do lots of R&D before releasing their tune, just to give an idea with APR stage 1 on a VW GTI can give you 78 to 87HP ( more or less) gain over stock just with a flash .
Stage 3+ with supporting mods and hardware makes about 480HP on a 2.0 4 cylinder engine. % of issues is low. also a tune will not rob you of fuel economy unless you go crazy
now I will not tune my A4 because the power is good for a DD.
it is a lease and do not put money on leases that is a waste of money
+1 on this as well. I had an APR tuned GTI for a while and had several engine related warranty repairs done despite the dealer knowing I was tuned. Audi/VW will not "go after you" unless they have a reason to and APR has a pretty good and long standing record of tunes that do not cause any problems. I was particularly impressed that my commuting MPG went up with the APR tune.

Basic rule is to flash back to stock before going in for a service. Maybe Audi can tell, maybe not, but they would have to do a forensic analysis of the ECU. They are just not going to do that unless, you for example , come in with serious engine or transmission problems.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S4 costs more because it uses a 3 Liter V6 unlike the A4’s 2 liter I4, and it also has a flatbottom steering wheel along with nicer stitching on the seats to show it is the S class

[QUOTE=Eric5273;24847604]I wasn't implying that this must be the reason. There are other possibilities too... Perhaps it makes much more engine noise. Perhaps it's not as smooth. Perhaps the gas mileage takes a big hit.

My point is that there must be some reason. The reason that the S4 costs $10k more is NOT because it simply has a $600 engine tune. There is a lot more to it than that.[/QUOTE