A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

2000 A6 2.7T fuel pump issues???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 A6 2.7T fuel pump issues???

Just looking for a second opinion here of where to start. I have a 2000 A6 2.7T and the other day i went to start it and it cranks but wont turn over. From the sound, it sounds like its getting spark just no fuel. Is this common in the A6's? Just looking at where to start looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You Very Much!!!
- A6CAVAN
Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

also forgot to mention I am starting to get a lil bit of water on the pass. floor and behind the pass seat floor. The plenum plugs are clear. Anyone know wear that might be coming in?
Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

No, it's not common. Mine cranks and starts up every time, and has for the last 155k miles. And it's the original battery.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Cavan, I'm having trouble with my '01 2.7 as well. Last friday she was running (& starting) strong. Drove her 35 mies to work (hwy), 35 miles home, parked her in the driveway for the night and everything was fine. Come out last Saturday afternoon as I had to go somewhere and *BOOM* completely dead. Wouldn't start for the life of me. So I try to jump her - not helping. Check my plugs and coil packs - all new and perfect. Like you said, she was cranking but wouldn't start - as if not getting fuel. So after doing a lot of research on here and AF.com - I came to the conclusion it was the fuel pump (FP). Ripped apart the entire driver side dash, ripped out the back seat to access the fuel pump, etc. Under the dash I checked the FP's relay - was working perfect. So then I checked the FP fuse - perfect. Then with the help of my dad, I turned the key to ON to see if the FP was clicking - it was. I was STUMPED. Then my dad got the bright idea to grab his 12 voltometer and start checking everything! lol I mean, we checked EVERYthing. Finally, we tested the power supply to the FP itself - DEAD. The whole problem was the FP wasn't getting any power so therefore, not turning over -> not pushing fuel into manifold/engine -> no car start. So we got a red wire we had laying around (this was about an hour or so later after we traced the power wire from the FP up to the dash to find out which wire it was supplying the power -> so we connect the red wire into where the supply wire is connected, and connect the other end to the (+) end of the relay (just to get 12v power to test). Sure as ****, car starts right up!!!

Well, I knew I couldn't leave the red wire connected and depend on the relay for a constant power supply so I thought "****...now what am I going to do?" Miraculously after d/c'ing the red wire, the car started starting on its on - as if the green/yellow supply wire was lose or something inside its power supply and we either jumped it to life w/ the red wire or moved it back in place. However, now that's it's been over a week - the car will still start - but I'm still noticing problems. Like sometimes I have to turn the key twice to get it to start - other times it will start on the 1st try but doesn't sound like a "healthy" start...

I don't know what to do! How am I supposed to fix this electrical problem? I see it being a real b1tch. But Cavan, grab a voltometer and test your fuel pump power supply to see if that might be the problem...
Old 11-22-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Water under pass seat on floor...try the seal between the cabin airfilter housing and the body,remove the housing and chk seal, if its dust, replace with automotive silicone and caulk you a new one. h2o seeps into the ventilation system and is dump out the back floor pass. side air vent. be carefull, ur Tranny CM is under carpet and can get submerged in h2o...if you cant find leak, you might have to drill smal hole in the body under the CM to let the intruding h20 drain out. this is better than having tranny CM ruined.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

is there anything else other then the Fuel Pump Relay and the Fuel Pump that might not be getting power? i checked the Relay and it seemed ok but as you said the fuel pump is getting now power, so just wondering before I run the wire back if there was anything else it could be....
Old 11-29-2014, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A6CAVAN
is there anything else other then the Fuel Pump Relay and the Fuel Pump that might not be getting power? i checked the Relay and it seemed ok but as you said the fuel pump is getting now power, so just wondering before I run the wire back if there was anything else it could be....
I can see that this is an old post. What fixed it? Was it the relay, or was the pump going out?