A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

new sensor, new code

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new sensor, new code

I recently got a P1338 code. I purchased a new camshaft position sensor from amazon. When I swapped out the sensor, I still had the code. Upon inspection of the new sensor, one of the prongs were pushed inward about 3mm. When I compared the new sensor with the old sensor, the old sensor had all 3 prongs flush to the same level, the new sensor was obviously defective. I sent it back as defective as I could pull out the one prong and make it flush with the other two prongs. I ordered a new Bosch CPS and installed it today.When I first ran the car, I got a P0300, P0340. I cleared the codes, and the car still ran rough. Later, I ran my codes to find a P0300 and a P1340....No more camshaft position sensor.

I have read that the crankshaft position sensor can cause a rough idle which can also lead to a no start just like the CPS sensor.

Any thoughts here?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you pulled the valve covers to check the number of links between the sprockets? There's a great hand drawn diagram floating around that's been cited many times on this forum. Also inspect wear on chain tensioner pads. If you are using VCDS to pull codes, I would log misfires to see which cylinders are misfiring, just to verify that they are all coming from bank 1.

Could also be the crank position sensor. I'd pull the valve cover and check the cam chain before throwing a new crank sensor in. If chain link count checks out an tensioner pads are OK, then try crank position sensor. Often a bad crank sensor will cause no start when hot, but car will start once cooled off.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks John for the feedback! I just ordered a new crankshaft position sensor...waiting for it via Amazon You described my next move. Checking the cam chain and making sure it's lined up properly. I only have 25K on a new engine, new cam chain pads also. Hoping for a fix with the sensor. Got a ton on my plate with home projects, just finished my masters this last semester, and...having unexpected shoulder surgery in 2 weeks, so I'm busting my butt trying to get everything finished before I can't move around much. Audi is lowest on the priority list But... I will get to it soon

Thank you for the positive input!!