A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

You know, leave it to an Audi dealer to screw you on labor rates....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Point!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Aside from the obvious like being smart about it, and the fact that nothing is 100% foolproof...

the idea is that it "shifts" the laser beam so that they cannot get a reading on you. Not a false reading but NO reading. Two laser sensors are mounted in the front of the vehicle on each side of the front plate because that's what they tend to shoot - the license plate which reflects the laser back to them - for an accurate speed reading. They also have one mounted in the rear of the car immediately above the rear license plate. Placement is crucial as is the angle of the laser sensor relative to the ground.

In the time I've owned both of these units in each car X, K and Ka are 99% of the time and laser is seldom used. I've found that they do use laser though on long straight stretches of highway with a nice clear overpass from a local road so they can set the laser on a tripod for a steady shot. Handheld doesn't work since it's such a tight beam pattern. Most recently I was shot with laser twice in Wisconsin near Madison on that long stretch of road on 90/94. I had my cruise locked at about 80 in a 65 which in Wisconsin will get you a ticket and when my laser went off I never even had the opportunity to slow down. My display reads "shifting" and I kid you not he stared at me when I went by him. He was in the center median and I was in the left most lane or inner lane.

Now, the big question is, is it illegal to jam a laser signal versus a radar signal? Radar signals I believe fall under different FCC guidelines versus lasers. I'm not an expert but I'd be hard pressed to believe ANY of it is legal. What's nice about this unit is you can selectively defeat the laser "shifting" portion of the detector if you ever got pulled over but more importantly is that the radar unit is completely stealth being mounted in the ashtray or wherever you want it mounted in the car out of sight. You really don't even need to see the display anyway because the speaker gives you all the warning you need. Unless that trooper has come across that exact scenario before I would think it would be hard for him to figure out what just happened and that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Yes it displays multiple bogeys like the V1 and yes it gives you all sorts of user options to customize it. The only thing I miss from the V1 are the directional arrows but even those aren't fool proof.

A lot of money? Yes. Worth it IMHO? Yes for me. It's not for everyone though.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Linky

<ul><li><a href="http://www.passportsr1.com/srx.htm">http://www.passportsr1.com/srx.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 07-22-2004, 11:26 AM

Default Many thanks for the explanation. So it is not the same as Lidar, which jams or scrambles the signal,

I think. And if recall correctly, it's illegal. I'll have to check into it. Of the last three times I've gotten a ticket (over several years, of course), two were laser, and one was Ka. The first laser was on a residential street around a curve (40 in a 30). The second laser was on a stretch of local street where the cop was parked on the shoulder (67 in a 55), and the Ka incident was on a rural two lane highway where the cop turned on the radar while cruising (instant on?) the other direction. I had no time to react. I have the Passport, and for the most part, it works OK. I learned never to go fast on when I'm the only one on the road.

Loved the part about the cop's confused look. Would've paid to see his face. LOL.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: all that is missing is the wooden leg, eye patch, and parrot.... : ^ )

Arrg arrrrg, blow me down. Get the gangplank and make the landlubber pay!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It definitely does not jam or scramble and they were adamant about this when I spoke with them about

how the laser works. They claim "shifting" the laser is not illegal. I say it's a matter of semantics and it's all illegal, but again I'll take that chance.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'll try to explain....

last time I worked in laser rangefinding, the police laser stuff used a laser diode that pulsed at home high frequency, like 100 times/second. Because the return signal was so noisy it usually took half a second to average out the noise and figure out how fast you were going.

If your radar detector had a similar 970nm laser diode that just flashed at almost the same frequency, the detector of the laser radar would be confuse and would never lock on to your signal. Remember, the laser (or diode) in your detector only has to be a 1/millionth as bright as the laser the cop has.

In reality it is jamming. You can't shift a light frequency. The light that bounces off your car is the same wavelength that hit it.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds good to me. As I said, I felt it was all a matter of semantics. I'm sure their sales

people aren't trained to know that so what I got was the usual sales B.S. runaround. Either way, I feel confident they aren't going to catch me but nothing is foolproof.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:32 PM

Default Some of you seem a little confused about the technology. Let me clarify if I may. 8^)

The Valentine 1 is a laser and radar <b>detector</b>. It does not jam anything.
The Lidatek and SRX units are laser <b>jammers</b> and have nothing to do with radar.
Both are legal in most states (CA and VA are notable exceptions). Radar jamming is illegal in all states. A radar detector and laser jammer combination is your best protection, other than not speeding. 8^)