A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio anti-theft coding

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio anti-theft coding

I was filing some papers I printed from this illustrious and valuable site when I came across a document with 1998 A8's information on his then new battery. He mentioned that the radio came on when he connected the new battery and surmised that there is a time delay before the radio goes to safe.

Audi changed out my radio before I bought my car and I was told that I had the option of not activating the code. I found in the Bentley manual the following:
"A code is programmed into each radio with anti-theft coding. The coding is not activated before the radio leaves the factory."
Following this is a procedure for activating the code. This is under Maintenance, Desc. of Ops., Radio 16-25. So like my radio, 1998 A8's radio code is probably not activated. There is no time delay, at least long enough to install a battery. My experience on other Audis is that the radio goes to safe as soon as the power is disconnected if the code is activated. Others may have unactivated radio codes as well.

An unrelated note, those of us who have had the Bentley manual for awhile may not have an up-to-date eBahn reader. I just downloaded 2.5 and installed it on my Win 95 computer. It has more features, better home screen and search features, and allows you to dump the CD onto the hard disk. For my antique computer, this really speeded things up. Use the reader "On-line updates" under Help while on line.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Radio anti-theft coding

This is good information... I am 1998 A8 and did indeed "Not" need the radio code when replacing my battery a couple of months ago.

I do however have a supplied radio code with my radio which I made sure to locate prior to my battery replacement. I can only summize that perhaps the radio was replaced at some point and a remanufactured or "new" radio was installed without ever being "coded." In-other-words the code I have is really for another unit returned under warranty?!

Thanks
Old 01-16-2003, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm happy the info was helpful to you.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Radio anti-theft coding

So, is there a way to tell (other than disconnecting he battery) whether a radio has or has not had the code activated? I didn't get the code when I bought my A8 used, so if not, when the time comes to change the battery, I guess I'll have to visit the dealer to find out what the code is.