A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 A8L - Water Ingress - MMI Component Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 A8L - Water Ingress - MMI Component Replacement

Hi - Newbie here in Boston, MA. Thanks in advance for any insights - and apologize if questions are stupid. After water ingress in my trunk from rear window seal leak and sunroof clogged drains, and MMI degrading not working gradually for the last 2 years, brought my car to the dealer to find out what needed to be replaced. They indicated the following which I have purchased used off ebay for $1,400 vs. the $10K the dealer quoted
4E0-035-542-X Radio Control Unit
4E0-910-732-TX Interface
4E0-910-888-MX Nav Module
4E0-910-593-N Sirius Module

Questions -
1)Which components would need to be programmed/reprogrammed due to Component Protection. It seems from searching the forums/threads it may only be the 732-TX Interface.
2)I removed and replaced all of these except the 732-TX. Where is this located? I believe from searching its in behind AMI/CD Changer in glovebox. Is there a detail on how access/remove and replace. Do I need to worry about anything IE Airbags???
3) Once all is replaced, what will happen when I power up the car. What should I see on MMI display (or will it be dead until I get CP removed from modules it needs to be removed from) or will i hurt the new components until I have the component protection reprogrammed by the dealer (from what I've read this is the only way). Or will the main reboot screen continue to be the same as it had (dead unless reboot/clicking from rear speak) because of the break in the MOST fiber optic ring.
4)Am I missing anything else or have to do anything else for my MMI to finally again work?

Thank you again for any help!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiBoston34
1)Which components would need to be programmed/reprogrammed due to Component Protection. It seems from searching the forums/threads it may only be the 732-TX Interface.
2)I removed and replaced all of these except the 732-TX. Where is this located? I believe from searching its in behind AMI/CD Changer in glovebox. Is there a detail on how access/remove and replace. Do I need to worry about anything IE Airbags???
3) Once all is replaced, what will happen when I power up the car. What should I see on MMI display (or will it be dead until I get CP removed from modules it needs to be removed from) or will i hurt the new components until I have the component protection reprogrammed by the dealer (from what I've read this is the only way). Or will the main reboot screen continue to be the same as it had (dead unless reboot/clicking from rear speak) because of the break in the MOST fiber optic ring.
4)Am I missing anything else or have to do anything else for my MMI to finally again work?

Thank you again for any help!
Welcome to the board!

I really doubt that all those modules are burnt. Don't discard them. Did you try to power it up now? I did not see the optic ring scan but it might be that the last module is OK. Nothing bad will happen even if it is not. I would suggest a new VCDS scan before you proceed.

1. As far as I remember you are right about CP. So you would save that too if that module is still good.

2. MMI Control Module is behind the glove box. You have to drop it down in order to access the module. There is an airbag but you don't need to disconnect since the cables are long enough. Start with pulling CD changer and disconnecting it. There is a number of Torx screws under the silver strip and side fuse box cover, two deep inside the glove box and one from below close to the middle of the car.

3. I can't remember what exactly CP will do, probably somebody else will kick in, but nothing bad can happen. Dealer is the only way to remove CP.

4. If it works obviously nothing, but if it doesn't VCDS scan will tell.

Last edited by mishar; 12-29-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Welcome to the board!

I really doubt that all those modules are burnt. Don't discard them. Did you try to power it up now? I did not see the optic ring scan but it might be that the last module is OK. Nothing bad will happen even if it is not. I would suggest a new VCDS scan before you proceed.

1. As far as I remember you are right about CP. So you would save that too if that module is still good.

2. MMI Control Module is behind the glove box. You have to drop it down in order to access the module. There is an airbag but you don't need to disconnect since the cables are long enough. Start with pulling CD changer and disconnecting it. There is a number of Torx screws under the silver strip and side fuse box cover, two deep inside the glove box and one from below close to the middle of the car.

3. I can't remember what exactly CP will do, probably somebody else will kick in, but nothing bad can happen. Dealer is the only way to remove CP.

4. If it works obviously nothing, but if it doesn't VCDS scan will tell.
Thanks so much mishar.! Clarification - for 2)

Remove the CD Changer - Remove the torx screws, and the controller will drop down below or come out through the glovebox? I'm guessing drop down from below - I am sure I will see once I get there, but night here and will try tomorrow so I figured I'd ask and see if I can return any of these modules and save some money with CP programming as well.

Is there a default order for the mmi modules on the optical ring - which one is furthest upstream through last?

Once last question - I also lost my electronic ebrake according to dealer. Any idea where that module resides and if there are any videos or resources on this project. Can't seem to find anywhere on the forum or web - so not sure what's involved. I have the parts list the dealers said was needed for project- $1700 and I got the module for 110.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow thats some collection of modules to replace and like Mishar says I too doubt that its going to be all of them at fault.

I too had a water ingress issue from the back window on my car that manifested itself by the MMI going nuts.

Fortunately I was in the car when it started to happen and I found water dripping down over the Sat nav drive, amps, TV tuner etc in the left side of the boot.

This is a picture of my boot, the red plug on top of the TV tuner is what got wet and sent the MMI crazy.

If you look at the bottom left corner of the picture there is a fuse bank minus the fuses, they are worth checking in your case and opposite side of the boot above the battery there is a large fuse behind a cover that feeds the fuse bank in the picture should you find it dead.

The Control Head 4E0-910-732 is a unit protected by CP, as its behind the glovebox it is unlikely to be damaged from water ingress as its well protected in there so I would leave it as a last resort.

I would be checking the modules in the boot first, you mention sunroof drains also, the main things that get damaged from it leaking are the roof module and the MMI control panel in the centre console.

A full VCDS scan and MOST loop check would be helpful in finding a place to start looking.

As for getting to the Control head you can find instructions in a pdf attached to the following post I made, there is an image of the Control Head has a green connector on it next to the gateway.

My car is right hand drive so things will be reverse for you.

Factory Reverse Camera Retrofit - A8 Parts Forum

Last edited by haggisuk; 12-29-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiBoston34
Thanks so much mishar.! Clarification - for 2)

Remove the CD Changer - Remove the torx screws, and the controller will drop down below or come out through the glovebox? I'm guessing drop down from below - I am sure I will see once I get there, but night here and will try tomorrow so I figured I'd ask and see if I can return any of these modules and save some money with CP programming as well.

Is there a default order for the mmi modules on the optical ring - which one is furthest upstream through last?

Once last question - I also lost my electronic ebrake according to dealer. Any idea where that module resides and if there are any videos or resources on this project. Can't seem to find anywhere on the forum or web - so not sure what's involved. I have the parts list the dealers said was needed for project- $1700 and I got the module for 110.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge!
Sorry, I was not really clear. You have to drop the glove box in order to access MMI Control Module. You can see it (mirror image) in a few last pictures on that excellent instruction linked by haggisuk. Excellent indeed!

Parking Brake Control Module is below battery, trunk right side. Near by are two 30 A fuses for the brake.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by haggisuk
Thanks for the link. I did that retrofit myself but unfortunately started with no F-bas MMI Control Module, Gateway Module and coaxial cable to the front. So more work and money.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the link. I did that retrofit myself but unfortunately started with no F-bas MMI Control Module, Gateway Module and coaxial cable to the front. So more work and money.
Haha, it was actually your thread on retrofit that encouraged me to do mine, so thanks

I have yet to calibrate it, from what I have read on another forum you frequent its only successful using VAS.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Haha, it was actually your thread on retrofit that encouraged me to do mine, so thanks

I have yet to calibrate it, from what I have read on another forum you frequent its only successful using VAS.
Was Delboy taken here?

I made my own template and tried many times with VCDS. Instructions are senseless. No luck. It may be because I have Q7 Camera Module. I tried VAS too but it can't recognize camera at all. But it works uncalibrated quite well. I wouldn't trust those lines anyways.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Mishar for the clarification and haggisuk for the detailed pdf. Exactly the clarifications I needed. I will try everything but the controller first and see if that works as it doesn't make sense that WI could affect that location - and if i can eliminate that and CP i'll save $700. Thanks for the e-brake info - I was going to check the other boot next tomorrow.

I still cannot believe Audi cannot disrupt the luxury auto market by keeping water out of it's $90K cars before innovating and making electronic e-brakes that get wiped out by water intrusions and cost $1700 to fix on a function that most users don't use. Or how about a water/moisture-proof case around the most sensitive equipment in the car hanging out in an aluminum quarter panels susceptible to all the elements . Has anybody every done anything to protect these components??? Here's how I found out:

Thanks again - Will update progress over the next couple of days.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Was Delboy taken here?

I made my own template and tried many times with VCDS. Instructions are senseless. No luck. It may be because I have Q7 Camera Module. I tried VAS too but it can't recognize camera at all. But it works uncalibrated quite well. I wouldn't trust those lines anyways.
I too find it works fine without the calibration, so have just left it. that said its pretty accurate and I have had no problems, I mostly use it for parking close to wall etc.

As for the Delboy I used to be called haggisuk on the other forum too but as my Nickname is Del I asked to get it changed, Just never bothered asking if it could be changed here.

Quick Reply: 2007 A8L - Water Ingress - MMI Component Replacement