A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As long as you don't mind reducing the resale value of the car, go for a standard suspension. Personally I wouldn't buy an A8 that had been modified in that way. Having the ability to change the suspension to the task at hand is worth the extra money. I have driven both types. The comfort of the air suspension is far superior to coil springs. Coil springs are a compromise. With air suspension, there is no compromise.

Try doing the following with coils springs.

Put another way, there are several reasons why Audi abandoned coil springs.

Having said all that, it is your car. I don't care what you do to it. It is your right to do whatever you want to your own property.

Deep snow? No problem.

Road trip? No problem either.

Last edited by richard-tx; 08-10-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Air suspension is a compromise too, it does not handle the same as coil springs.
Audi still uses coil springs to this day, not on all models but they do.

Last edited by audinutt; 08-10-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback gents. Just looking at options is all. Coil overs you can set the car like you want it and be done with it. Never having to worry about an air leak again. Yes probably a firmer ride and maybe a little better handling. I can buy one air shock now to fix the problem and wait for the others to go out eventually.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by A8 user
Thanks for the feedback gents. Just looking at options is all. Coil overs you can set the car like you want it and be done with it. Never having to worry about an air leak again. Yes probably a firmer ride and maybe a little better handling. I can buy one air shock now to fix the problem and wait for the others to go out eventually.
Most of struts newer go out, so by replacing one you are most probably done for as long as you have your A8. That is much cheaper and much less work than switching to conventional suspension. As far as ride quality air suspension is better in every aspect and it is adjustable by the press of the button. As the last drop, if you switch to coilovers you will not be able to get rid of the warning on your dash.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 100%
Plus why destroy the beautiful ride of the A8.......

Originally Posted by mishar
Most of struts newer go out, so by replacing one you are most probably done for as long as you have your A8. That is much cheaper and much less work than switching to conventional suspension. As far as ride quality air suspension is better in every aspect and it is adjustable by the press of the button. As the last drop, if you switch to coilovers you will not be able to get rid of the warning on your dash.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I can appreciate converting to coils for a Lincoln Town Car, but on a German Überautomobil, I can't see it. Unless you hide the fact(don't), you will reduce the cost of resale significantly, and the car will be worse in every dynamic measure the suspension affects.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Air suspension does many things including virtually eliminating body roll, and with the newer cars, dynamically adjusts height and stiffness based on conditions.

For more details, see http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...6&d=1420368237

also see

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...6&d=1420368237

Last edited by richard-tx; 08-11-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by A8 user
Agreed with all the other recent comments basically on nix on this idea. I'm at 114K miles with no issues so far with any part of air system and strut units--on a ten years on the road very early 2006, and that as a W12 was the heaviest on built, both motor wise and options weight galore. By 114K miles my (700 pound lighter) A6 4.2 OE struts were way crapped out and I was driving a Buick Roadmaster. New Bilsteins eventually fixed it, but the labor added up, as did the strut cost. A8 has always handled AND rode better than my A6 did with OE (Sachs IIRC) or Bilstein HD's, even though my A8 has 35's and the A6 had variously 40 and 45's on smaller wheels. A8 is the better set up hands down, and most of the rest of the suspension was basically the same as the D3 on either the D2 or C5 4.2, other than rear upper arms used to be steel.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-11-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
Air suspension does many things including virtually eliminating body roll, ...
Unfortunately not. It is way to slow for that purpose.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I read through a couple pages but couldn't find anything about my issue. My front drivers side compressor seems to keep running even when the car is off. There are no lights on the car but when I start the car there's some weird clunky noise from front drivers side.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 air suspension problem