A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get my front struts to air up!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There are small valves mounted on struts. They hold a minimum pressure preventing bag to be damaged if created vacuum inside. They can be blocked for some reason. I would check them. Just don't move struts when there is no pressure in there.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
There are small valves mounted on struts. They hold a minimum pressure preventing bag to be damaged if created vacuum inside. They can be blocked for some reason. I would check them. Just don't move struts when there is no pressure in there.
I was afraid of that...I have no idea how to get that valve off or check it etc. It's the gold fitting mounted to the outside of the strut yes?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Valve is that small part pointing down. I think it is just screwed in that angular part connected to the strut. Recently somebody here had one broken, so be careful. I would first try by applying a higher pressure. May be a few drops of WD-40 before pumping.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Valve is that small part pointing down. I think it is just screwed in that angular part connected to the strut. Recently somebody here had one broken, so be careful. I would first try by applying a higher pressure. May be a few drops of WD-40 before pumping.
So here's an update. I found that the front right has no valve on the exterior...but that shouldn't keep it from airing up. However the front left strut does have a valve and when removed the strut inhales and exhales when pressed up and down. I then took both struts off and brought them to the shop and put a little more pressure on them. The LH one holds air with no bubbles near the bag and the RH on starts spitting bubbles from the bag imediately.
SOOOO, My question is: Does the leveling module prevent a good strut from rising if the one across from it holds no pressure?????
Also. I'm sure this is a horrible idea, but I'm takeing the leaking one apart. I'm pretty sure I can find that leak and replace the o-ring or bag that is the problem. Even if I can't as long as I don't destroy anything I'll still have core value.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Why "horrible idea"? That's actually the right one. If it is any of O-rings it should be easy to find it. They must be standard. Not so sure about bag. I believe Continental makes them, but how to get one? If you find the way it would be a great brake trough.

I don't know if computer prevents pumping of only one side. It wouldn't be unreasonable. Otherwise one can drive it on three wheels, or close.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Banned

Why "horrible idea"? That's actually the right one. If it is any of O-rings it should be easy to find it. They must be standard. Not so sure about bag. I believe Continental makes them, but how to get one? If you find the way it would be a great brake trough.

I don't know if computer prevents pumping of only one side. It wouldn't be unreasonable. Otherwise one can drive it on three wheels, or close.
Well I started to take the RH strut apart and got as far as I needed to realize that there is a large, thick metal strap that is crimped over the lower seam of the bag. I gaurantee if I take that off there's no way i'm getting it back on with out a very special tool and a new metal band. I think I could find the bag from china or something but at this point it's not worth it if I'm sending it to a strut shop with the right tools anyway. I wonder how willing that shop would be to share the trade secrets of the build up of one of these...lol, not likely.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I wouldn't be so much concerned about that strap. Whatever it is it can be custom made, including tool, or something else can be used. Can you make a few pictures and post them here?

P.S. If it is just a plain ring I can see on drawings than it won't be any problem to make one and crimp it on in place.

Last edited by mishar; 11-23-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Banned

I wouldn't be so much concerned about that strap. Whatever it is it can be custom made, including tool, or something else can be used. Can you make a few pictures and post them here?

P.S. If it is just a plain ring I can see on drawings than it won't be any problem to make one and crimp it on in place.
Well I but the bullet and bought a use strut...I still have my bad one though and I think I'll try to fix it up and document the progress for the board...There just has to be a way to do it. I have a request in for price and availability on a bag from continental...we'll see.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Excellent! I can help. CNC is my middle name. PM is my address.

P.S. Before you cut mentioned ring measure its outside diameter.

Last edited by mishar; 11-23-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Banned

Excellent! I can help. CNC is my middle name. PM is my address.

P.S. Before you cut mentioned ring measure its outside diameter.
fricken sweet. I'll get the OD and ID and width. I wonder what material it is. I'm sure it has to be maluable enough to crimp but rigid enough to hold over time. I'm gonna take some pics in the morning but what are you thinking in regards to a crimping tool that will fit around the barrel of this strut? I also have to come up with some info on how to get the upper barrel top cap off. I was thinking of calling Jeffery from rebuild masters found on ebay. Another member has mentioned him as being very helpful. I was thinking maybe he would tell me what his process was for dis-assembly. I would love to see any info you have on good part diagrams or graphics. I've seen the strut home work study thing and it's very informative on description and operation details but obviously they don't cover any tear down. There's plenty of people that will try to kill this thing before it starts but I know there is someone out there that has a lead on how this process is done and I just need to find that person. Hope we can figure something out that will make it worth a DIY strut rebuild.

Quick Reply: Can't get my front struts to air up!!!!!!