A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get my front struts to air up!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default afford

Originally Posted by quiksilverly
I should clear up that my car was purchased as a project. It ran when I got it but someone had tried to install some aftermarket air suspension and I've been piecing it back together a bit at a time. From what I can tell someone hit a curb at some good speed and took out the lower lip of the front bumper, air compressor bracket, radiator support, cooling fan shroud and from investigation, the front right strut bag. It's not as if it failed one day... someone busted it up. So as far as all the parts needing to be replaced in it....I'd bet most of them would be fine. This whole thing started over how much of an investment do I need to make when I know how to fix 99% of the problems with the car. This strut is the 1%. I'm pretty stubborn.

I'd love to see people get those busted up A8's and put some of them back on the road. You can't do that if you get any of the work done at a dealer....you'll go broke. But if some of the expensive things can be done by me and you, then people like me who could never afford this car otherwise can get a nice ride for cheap.
i get your point and respect your effort about tackling this task.
my point is by common sense is not worth it unless your time has no value.
Now when you talk about afford I think you can afford a new one but you don't know it.
if you can fix 99% percent of the problems in this car, come work for me.
you'll make enough for a new one every year.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by s4master1
... unless your time has no value.
Yes! That's it. You may not know yet but that's when you finally win.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Yes! That's it. You may not know yet but that's when you finally win.
It's worth $1700 for the time it takes to rebuild a strut for my car and provide precedent for other D3 owners who want to try it themselves.

I enjoy working on my car...the time has value to me.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

if you can fix 99% percent of the problems in this car, come work for me.
you'll make enough for a new one every year.
But would it be enogh for a new one just every two years along with the full cost of ownership and the cost of a home (in tax-happy California) and the full cost of a family and saving for kid's college and retirement etc?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default rebuild

Quick question. Why is everyone talking about $1700 dollar replacement struts when you can easily get rebuilt ones for $650? Ok, the damper isn't rebuilt but it's been tested and found to be within spec so not an issue as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Difference between $650 for a rebuilt strut and $20 for needed parts plus do it yourself satisfaction is a very good reason for me. $1700 would be even better reason.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

The airbag is the "easy" part if you already have the tools and can source the parts, but can the damper be stripped down and rebuilt/replaced also? Then it would be fair to compare this to a $1700 replacement unit rather than a $650 rebuild.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ownership

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
But would it be enogh for a new one just every two years along with the full cost of ownership and the cost of a home (in tax-happy California) and the full cost of a family and saving for kid's college and retirement etc?
easily.
if you change the car every 2 years you don't have to worry about cost of ownership, factory warranty covers any repairs needed.
housing this days is not bad unless you want to live by the beach.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default specs

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Quick question. Why is everyone talking about $1700 dollar replacement struts when you can easily get rebuilt ones for $650? Ok, the damper isn't rebuilt but it's been tested and found to be within spec so not an issue as far as I'm concerned.
may I ask who's specs?.
there's a reason BMW, MERCEDES, AUDI and all other high line cars only sell them as an assembly.
if this is your first A8 you would not know the difference anyway until you drive it with new units.
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

may I ask who's specs?.
there's a reason BMW, MERCEDES, AUDI and all other high line cars only sell them as an assembly.
if this is your first A8 you would not know the difference anyway until you drive it with new units.
Whose spec? Well that's the $1700 question. However the reason they're sold as non-servicable assemblies is that it's easier for the OEM to deal with in terms of parts inventories, service tech training, unit cost, repairs etc etc. If it was cheaper and easier for the OEM to make them serviceable they would, and it's naive to think otherwise.

Although your point about not knowing the difference with new units is somewhat meaningless? Who in their right mind is going to spend what amounts to 50%+ of the car's value on a set of new struts to fit into an old car. That's why repairing them if possible makes sense, otherwise the car will quickly become good for nothing but scrap.

I don't know if you intend it, but you come across as having a very condescending "main dealer" type attitude with regards this sort of thing.

Quick Reply: Can't get my front struts to air up!!!!!!