A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seat cup holder removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear seat cup holder removal

Trying to fix a few of the little things that are not working on my recently purchased 2006 A8L. The rear seat arm rest has a dual cup holder that will not come out. I can press it into the arm rest as you would expect to have the Spring mechanism push it out, but it seems to catch on something, or it doesn't release its locking mechanism that holds it in its resting position.

I tried shifting it around in the arm rest slot, thinking it might be catching on something, and I was able to get it open once, there was a plastic click sound when it opened as if what ever was restraining it had broken off or bent or something. I carefully examined all what you can see from all angles to try and identify anything broken... but couldn't see or find anything. It seemed to slide in and out easily as I didn't want to kick in place until I was sure it would work again?

But after finding nothing to indicate what was wrong with it, I carefully pushed it back in and now it won't come back out again, same symptoms.

I removed the front cover of the cup holder and it gives a better view, but it still won't release?

I'm thinking that if I could remove the unit from the arm rest, I might be able to figure out what is going on with it much easier.

It appears that there is 1 clip on each of the outside edges that hold it in, but no matter how much I pry on those clips (using thin flat head screw drivers), I can't seem to get it to release from the arm rest? Any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Here you go buddy

Removing and installing cup holder

t Removing
– Use a screwdriver to prise out the trim -1- at the guides -2- (2x).
– Use a screwdriver to prise out the cup holder -3- at the guides -4- (2x) and pull out the cup holder -3- to the front.
t Installing
– Install the cup holder -3- in the reverse order of removal.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
Here you go buddy

Removing and installing cup holder

t Removing
– Use a screwdriver to prise out the trim -1- at the guides -2- (2x).
– Use a screwdriver to prise out the cup holder -3- at the guides -4- (2x) and pull out the cup holder -3- to the front.
t Installing
– Install the cup holder -3- in the reverse order of removal.

Well thank you sir! It's exactly what I needed! Removing the larger cover was the trick... then you can see much better!

Once out, I still couldn't quite see what was wrong with it? But whatever I did... it is working again! I'm thinking turning and twisting it around might have dislodged whatever it was catching on.

Anyways, thanks for your help... my Bentley Repair disk is on order!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

You should thoroughly clean it every now and then as there are always spillages and dirt causing them to jam. Also teach the people in the back the correct way to use them as they pull them about and wack them in frustration.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
...the people in the back...pull them about and wack them in frustration.
How I feel every time I put a new kid in the back (lots of field trips, carpools, etc.). I can put my dog back there and worry less, and she's a 67-pound Lab "puppy". Very well-behaved, though.
I wish I had the rear seat entertainment package; I'd make a video and put it on every time a new passenger gets in..."On the left and right you'll notice retractable window shades. They are UP because I want them that way. Please refrain from f***ing with them as they cost about a thousand dollars to replace (dealer including labor) - each. The overhead console has some really neat functions, which are currently disabled so the 12-year-old plastic doesn't give out" (showing video of power rear sun blind, lights dimming, vanity mirrors - and how to work the cupholders).

Long, tangentially-related story follows...

I like when the kids ask about the various accoutrement(s?) and I give permission for some things but grrrr I hate when they just start playing with every button. Some of the "entitled" brats at my kids' private schools need to be locked in the trunk as far as I'm concerned. One kid rode in the "Wayback" in our highlander (ugh, toyota - their slogan) and shredded a whole roll of paper towels into confetti (it was an hour drive) then made it "snow" on the kids in the second row. It was pretty funny despite the loss of the roll, and I laughed... but when I asked him to pick them up several times he says "NO!". The other kids were mortified. I turned into the projects, where our government pays the criminals and freeloaders to sit on their porches, smoke crack & cigs, and give us white folks the stink eye. I said "Okay, bud; you can walk from here". He still refused. I put the windows down, and shut the car off.
There happened to be a (big, scary, long-haired, tattooed, parolee-looking brother complete with "grille") sitting on his porch whom, a couple months prior, I had helped diagnose a no-start condition, driven to the auto parts place in the snow, helped him pick a battery, took him home and installed it (he knows nothing about cars), so I got out to talk to him. He greeted me like a long-lost cousin, I told him about the brat, and we talked in low tones and looked toward the car. We then walked back to the car and told the little bastard that I'd sold him to Deonte, and would he please get out. He cleaned the confetti pretty quickly. The other kids were speechless, and even my son thought I was serious (probably scarred for life). Deonte almost soiled himself laughing. He still LOLs when I drive by and he recognizes me.

The brat's parents, with whom we're poker/shooting/scouting friends, thought it was hilarious (luckily) and I became famous amongst the 6th graders as a man not to be trifled with.

### FIN ###

PS Today I stopped at my favorite coffee place and had a triple macchiato (which I later found out is made with SIX shots of espresso) and a cup of Americano, so yeah, I ramble).

PPS Thanks Chok, I have a cupholder in limbo and could not find in Bentley.
The following users liked this post:
509Mathias (06-26-2022)
Old 10-15-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

That's just good motivational skills.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic
How I feel every time I put a new kid in the back (lots of field trips, carpools, etc.). I can put my dog back there and worry less, and she's a 67-pound Lab "puppy". Very well-behaved, though.
I wish I had the rear seat entertainment package; I'd make a video and put it on every time a new passenger gets in..."On the left and right you'll notice retractable window shades. They are UP because I want them that way. Please refrain from f***ing with them as they cost about a thousand dollars to replace (dealer including labor) - each. The overhead console has some really neat functions, which are currently disabled so the 12-year-old plastic doesn't give out" (showing video of power rear sun blind, lights dimming, vanity mirrors - and how to work the cupholders).

Long, tangentially-related story follows...

I like when the kids ask about the various accoutrement(s?) and I give permission for some things but grrrr I hate when they just start playing with every button. Some of the "entitled" brats at my kids' private schools need to be locked in the trunk as far as I'm concerned. One kid rode in the "Wayback" in our highlander (ugh, toyota - their slogan) and shredded a whole roll of paper towels into confetti (it was an hour drive) then made it "snow" on the kids in the second row. It was pretty funny despite the loss of the roll, and I laughed... but when I asked him to pick them up several times he says "NO!". The other kids were mortified. I turned into the projects, where our government pays the criminals and freeloaders to sit on their porches, smoke crack & cigs, and give us white folks the stink eye. I said "Okay, bud; you can walk from here". He still refused. I put the windows down, and shut the car off.
There happened to be a (big, scary, long-haired, tattooed, parolee-looking brother complete with "grille") sitting on his porch whom, a couple months prior, I had helped diagnose a no-start condition, driven to the auto parts place in the snow, helped him pick a battery, took him home and installed it (he knows nothing about cars), so I got out to talk to him. He greeted me like a long-lost cousin, I told him about the brat, and we talked in low tones and looked toward the car. We then walked back to the car and told the little bastard that I'd sold him to Deonte, and would he please get out. He cleaned the confetti pretty quickly. The other kids were speechless, and even my son thought I was serious (probably scarred for life). Deonte almost soiled himself laughing. He still LOLs when I drive by and he recognizes me.

The brat's parents, with whom we're poker/shooting/scouting friends, thought it was hilarious (luckily) and I became famous amongst the 6th graders as a man not to be trifled with.

### FIN ###

PS Today I stopped at my favorite coffee place and had a triple macchiato (which I later found out is made with SIX shots of espresso) and a cup of Americano, so yeah, I ramble).

PPS Thanks Chok, I have a cupholder in limbo and could not find in Bentley.
That just might be the funniest story I've heard in a while! Thanks for that ... appreciated!
Old 10-16-2016, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool story. I just don't think there was a need to mention "white folks" or the "brother". Just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hear you on about the rear shades. I like mine to be kept up and thankfully my daughter is now bored of playing with all the stuff in the back since I installed the dvd and games in the headrests.

Lol at the story.

from a 'Brother' :-)