A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe to attach to the center console?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default something

Originally Posted by jakematic
And this is why I ask you guys - to keep myself from doing something stupid....
well, we are not trying that hard.
if you do stupid things we should be keeping you from doing it at all.
2 problems here, guns are used to intimidate/deter people from attacking you or just to plain stoping them as last resort.
to intimidate/deter they need to be big, big= heavy,
you need quick access to it as well, I personally don't think the center console can handle it in the spot you want it.
plus considering it will be in your way all the time and in case of air bag deployment it may become a projectile towards you or passengers.
you mention since your car don't have the double glass, what that means? is not bullet deterrent glass.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm beginning to think that due to the airbag it isn't the right place either s4master.

Guns are not meant to intimidate.
Those who try to use one in such a manner are gang members or watch too many movies.
Or they are just a dip****.
If it comes out it's to be used, end of story and last resort.

For those of us who legally carry it's always a challenge being strapped into a vehicle.
We look for alternate stowage that's still useful (e.g. not the trunk).

I'm aware it's not bullet deterrent, but double glass helps slow down the less violent attacker giving you more time to react.

A practical reaction is falling back.
If I'm in a situation outside the vehicle I'd rather use a kubaton or pepper spray to be able to extract myself.
But I will use lethal force if necessary and I feel there is no alternative.

If a scumbag walks or drives up next to the A8 and pulls a gun on me, the 4.2 can get me outta there pronto.
Should that happen in gridlocked traffic I will engage with lethal force.

The key is situational awareness, and of course don't go stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things.

For the record I've had many threats on my life and several unsuccessful attempts.
It's also not uncommon for me to leave a work location at 3AM or other odd hours.
I'm a bit more cautious and prepared than most people for these reasons.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default scumbag

I'm beginning to think that due to the airbag it isn't the right place either s4master.

Guns are not meant to intimidate.
Those who try to use one in such a manner are gang members or watch too many movies.
Or they are just a dip****.
If it comes out it's to be used, end of story and last resort.

For those of us who legally carry it's always a challenge being strapped into a vehicle.
We look for alternate stowage that's still useful (e.g. not the trunk).

I'm aware it's not bullet deterrent, but double glass helps slow down the less violent attacker giving you more time to react.

A practical reaction is falling back.
If I'm in a situation outside the vehicle I'd rather use a kubaton or pepper spray to be able to extract myself.
But I will use lethal force if necessary and I feel there is no alternative.

If a scumbag walks or drives up next to the A8 and pulls a gun on me, the 4.2 can get me outta there pronto.
Should that happen in gridlocked traffic I will engage with lethal force.

The key is situational awareness, and of course don't go stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things.

For the record I've had many threats on my life and several unsuccessful attempts.
It's also not uncommon for me to leave a work location at 3AM or other odd hours.
I'm a bit more cautious and prepared than most people for these reasons.
If the scumbag thinks the way you do, you never had a chance to reach for your weapon as he/she already had it out first.
no car in the world can get you out of there that pronto, is your car that important to you to risk it, or is just the excuse?
in the past we retrofit couple of cars, all we asked was weight and dimensions of the item to be stored and be able to reach quick.
I personally rather change car, work hours or job altogether.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And, back to the thread...

And this is why I ask you guys - to keep myself from doing something stupid....
I didn't even consider (again...) the Knee Bolster air bags. Then again, I'm not entirely convinced that it couldn't be mounted under the column and still be out of the way of deploying air bags. I suppose it would depend on how the bags actually deploy. I really can't speak to that very well. I'm not sure anything actually comes out of the bottom of the column itself. And, when the bags come from the knee bolster area, I think they just "unroll" (sorry, I can't think of a better term) up your shins, toward your knees, and would actually become a barrier between them and the underside of the column (and weapon).

I asked my Sheriff buddy and he recommended three things right off the bat that he had experience with. Each is dependent on your space, mounting options, etc.

Option #1 from Grassburr Leather Works:
http://www.grassburr.com/about-mounted-handguns.ASP

Option #2 From CopsPlus.com (I think this would work better in a truck or SUV, but who knows):
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1481.php

Option #3 (This one sounds like the most practical, to me anyway):
He said he actually just uses (off-duty) a cross-draw style underarm holster. He's a righty, so he wears it under his left arm.

Thoughts?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default positioning

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
I didn't even consider (again...) the Knee Bolster air bags. Then again, I'm not entirely convinced that it couldn't be mounted under the column and still be out of the way of deploying air bags. I suppose it would depend on how the bags actually deploy. I really can't speak to that very well. I'm not sure anything actually comes out of the bottom of the column itself. And, when the bags come from the knee bolster area, I think they just "unroll" (sorry, I can't think of a better term) up your shins, toward your knees, and would actually become a barrier between them and the underside of the column (and weapon).

I asked my Sheriff buddy and he recommended three things right off the bat that he had experience with. Each is dependent on your space, mounting options, etc.

Option #1 from Grassburr Leather Works:
http://www.grassburr.com/about-mounted-handguns.ASP

Option #2 From CopsPlus.com (I think this would work better in a truck or SUV, but who knows):
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1481.php

Option #3 (This one sounds like the most practical, to me anyway):
He said he actually just uses (off-duty) a cross-draw style underarm holster. He's a righty, so he wears it under his left arm.

Thoughts?
I personally would find a way to strap it to the headliner, as the most common thing to do in a situation involving a firearm is to raise your hands.
the scumbag would get the last surprise of his/her life, assuming is loaded and cocked already.
anywhere else he/she will have the advantage of seeing your every move and either run away or ...
hope you or anybody else never be in a situation like this.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
IOption #3 (This one sounds like the most practical, to me anyway):

Thoughts?
That's an excellent idea. I have several, and even with a seat belt on it's easy to access that area.

Originally Posted by s4master1
I personally would find a way to strap it to the headliner, as the most common thing to do in a situation involving a firearm is to raise your hands.
Was thinking about that last night inspired by a cowboy hat holder I'd seen for truck headliners.

Originally Posted by s4master1
hope you or anybody else never be in a situation like this.
Same here. Like my homeowner's insurance, it's "just in case".
Old 04-24-2011, 12:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should be OK. There are some brackets, air ducts and cables but

just remove the center console trim and check for yourself to be safe.

I replaced my entire console and the trim is easy to remove. Just pop out the ash tray and remove the tray compartment by removing the Torx20 screw. Grab trim in the lower corners where the tray sat and pop it out bit by bit.

If it sounds too vague, see my DIY step 3 and 4 and you'll surely fix it.

I still have the old console in my garage so let me know if you like more pictures of it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Center console DIY.pdf (728.7 KB, 124 views)