A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I spilled coffee on my MMI controls.. (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default MMI 2G Diagram

I'll be busy installing Back Up Camera on my sister 2016 $44k Q5 without built-in back-up camera. Hope you'll find the fix.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-29-2016, 03:13 AM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow you guys went in hard lol, during louis video as I said before if the head is ok you should see a temp mmi boot logo even when one fo the optical unit is unplugged, I unplugged mines alot so thats something I remember off the back of my head.....

but now I got a trick to make it very very very easy to spot the perp....

reconnect everything back even the non oem video camera module....

sit in the car lock the doors with the remote, wait about 10 mins might not be that long you should hear few clicks under the dash... oh make sure the cd changer is out or the dash is down, probably still is.... after about 10 mins the gateway should be asleep.....

now press the remote to unlock the doors, you should hear a series of clicks under the dash listen to the rear, do you hear a series of click in a pattern
if so then you have an open optical line, you can now open the doors and catch some fresh air lol, or leave the windows down prior, now any electronics device you move in the car whether its seat, hazard etc will and should wake up the MOST system, now disconnect the OPTICAL from the changer, press remote, seats or put key in the ignition see if you see a light on one side of the molex connector, if should be relatively strong, if you dont see a light another device is dead, plug the changer back in, unplug the MOST connector on the head repeat above, or just remove the key and put it back in the ignition, if you see the light, the head is dead, stop pissing in the wind and get a new head, test is over..... fact that you're not seeing the initial mmi boot logo I believe the head is dead its rare but guess you cause the rear par of it.... the initial logo should be there because the MMI HEAD has two paths of communication it communicate via MOST and CAN. see photo below, so with the MOST down the screen should trigger for a few seconds then blank because it switches over to MOST after the init wakeup via can or MMI PAD which in your case is dead.... its not doing that the head or can lines is dead, I seriously doubt its the can lines...

7 of the 13 wires in the head is a direct connection to the MMI PAD E380

the rest is power mute for Telematics and can.

funny think is during all this you might check the gateway fuse (fuse 5), if that's dead all is dead, I doubt that's dead else you would have more alarms but at this moment, anything is possible...

Old 05-29-2016, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamoye Lewis
Wow you guys went in hard lol, during louis video as I said before if the head is ok you should see a temp mmi boot logo even when one fo the optical unit is unplugged, I unplugged mines alot so thats something I remember off the back of my head.....

sit in the car lock the doors with the remote, wait about 10 mins might not be that long you should hear few clicks under the dash... oh make sure the cd changer is out or the dash is down, probably still is.... after about 10 mins the gateway should be asleep.....

now press the remote to unlock the doors, you should hear a series of clicks under the dash listen to the rear, do you hear a series of click in a pattern
if so then you have an open optical line, you can now open the doors and catch some fresh air lol, or leave the windows down prior, now any electronics device you move in the car whether its seat, hazard etc will and should wake up the MOST system, now disconnect the OPTICAL from the changer, press remote, seats or put key in the ignition see if you see a light on one side of the molex connector, if should be relatively strong, if you dont see a light another device is dead, plug the changer back in, unplug the MOST connector on the head repeat above, or just remove the key and put it back in the ignition, if you see the light, the head is dead, stop pissing in the wind and get a new head, test is over..... fact that you're not seeing the initial mmi boot logo I believe the head is dead its rare but guess you cause the rear par of it.... the initial logo should be there because the MMI HEAD has two paths of communication it communicate via MOST and CAN. see photo below, so with the MOST down the screen should trigger for a few seconds then blank because it switches over to MOST after the init wakeup via can or MMI PAD which in your case is dead.... its not doing that the head or can lines is dead, I seriously doubt its the can lines...

funny think is during all this you might check the gateway fuse (fuse 5), if that's dead all is dead, I doubt that's dead else you would have more alarms but at this moment, anything is possible...

That's the strange part he has not said anything about clicking noises that you hear when something is not working
Should have got him on to getting a test loop and cheap mmi head unit ages ago.
At the very least it would rule a lot of things out for the princely sum of under $200. Less than a trip to Audi.
You maybe overthinking it (or maybe not)
We like to use the K.I.S.S. principle here( KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID)
Anyway he has gone to round up the goodies , time will tell.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:37 AM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by storka
That's the strange part he has not said anything about clicking noises that you hear when something is not working
Should have got him on to getting a test loop and cheap mmi head unit ages ago.
At the very least it would rule a lot of things out for the princely sum of under $200. Less than a trip to Audi.
You maybe overthinking it (or maybe not)
We like to use the K.I.S.S. principle here( KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID)
Anyway he has gone to round up the goodies , time will tell.
yea I know, but they clicking is the J519, it just drop the power when the MOST is offline to protect the optical beam I guess.... I think the head is dead....
if the head is ok the optical light should pass through it, that why I said to check the CD optical lines if the light is NOT there something else is open... if more than two MOST is out you will loose the optical light at the first on the light goes though.... I know its Gateway then MMI HEAD then the rest of the system, so the light comes out the gateway into the MMI head out to the changer then to the rest in the back... dont recall the order but the said order I know because like I said I mess with alot of things.... I have a single device to device optical cable, I did before just connect the MMI head and gateway alone when I was doing my video interface to run some test....
Old 05-29-2016, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

yea I know, but they clicking is the J519, it just drop the power when the MOST is offline to protect the optical beam I guess.... I think the head is dead....
if the head is ok the optical light should pass through it, that why I said to check the CD optical lines if the light is NOT there something else is open... if more than two MOST is out you will loose the optical light at the first on the light goes though.... I know its Gateway then MMI HEAD then the rest of the system, so the light comes out the gateway into the MMI head out to the changer then to the rest in the back... dont recall the order but the said order I know because like I said I mess with alot of things.... I have a single device to device optical cable, I did before just connect the MMI head and gateway alone when I was doing my video interface to run some test....

mess with some things is putting it mildly. You are fearless with all that electrical stuff its all voodoo magic to me . Anyway my money is on the mmi head unit ( lots of them with x on the end of the part number meaning they have been refirbed by audi)
OR kinked optic cable.
But I've been wrong lots of times just ask the bride
Old 05-29-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for diagram!

I wanted to confirm, I wasn't hearing any clicking anywhere when driving or diagnosing this issue. Is the clicking sound similar to a mechanical relay click/solenoid valve coil click? I am not hearing that anywhere.

I will do above test this morning and report back. I am ordering optical loop plug as well.

Couple of questions:

On above diagram, there is a radio module and satellite radio module. Where is the radio module? I though satellite radio unit is in trunk

Where would I find gateway fuse 5?

Last edited by Pawel S; 05-29-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

One more question:

Will I cause any damage to the MMI system if I drive the car without the control head hooked up?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No
Old 05-29-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, below are test results, went by post #92 from Shamoye Lewis:

1) Reconnected everything including the 3rd party rear camera unit
2) Sat in the car and locked the doors with the remote. The glove box was down and cd changer out. Waited about 10 minutes. Heard a click or two under the dash after around a minute.
3) After 10 minutes pressed key to unlock door. Heard a click or two under the dash. Could not hear any clicks from the rear when being inside the car
4) I then opened the trunk, manually closed the trunk lock with screwdriver and locked car doors. Waited 10 minutes. I stuck my head in the trunk and open the doors to listen for clicks in the trunk. I heard only click from the amplifier board, navigation DVD was reading something and amplifier did click every approx every 15 seconds, 3 or 4 times. Didn't hear anything from the radio unit.
5) I unplugged optical connector from cd changer and moved electric seat to activate the MOST. Getting a tiny blip of a signal once every few seconds, see video below. Tried it several times, one time I got same strong signal as on the head connector

6) After plugging the cd changer optical connector I unplugged the head optical connector and moved the seat - getting strong red signal each time

Old 05-29-2016, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also ran Optical Bus Diagnostics. 3 times in a row standard and 3 - 3dB Attenuation

Test #1 Standard

19 CAN Gateway OK ERROR
07-Control Head ERROR ERROR
0E-Media Player 1 OK ERROR
47-Sound System OK OK
56-Radio OK ERROR
37- Navigation OK ERROR

Test #2 Standard

19 CAN Gateway OK ERROR
0E-Media Player 1 OK OK
47-Sound System OK OK
56-Radio OK ERROR
37- Navigation OK ERROR

Test #3 Standard

19 CAN Gateway OK ERROR
47-Sound System OK ERROR
56-Radio OK ERROR
37- Navigation ERROR ERROR

Test #1 3dB Attenuation

19 CAN Gateway OK ERROR
47-Sound System OK ERROR
56-Radio ERROR ERROR
37- Navigation OK OK

Test #2 3dB Attenuation

19 CAN Gateway OK ERROR
47-Sound System ERROR ERROR
56-Radio ERROR ERROR
37- Navigation OK ERROR

Test #3 3dB Attenuation

19 CAN Gateway OK ERROR
47-Sound System OK ERROR
56-Radio ERROR ERROR
37- Navigation ERROR ERROR

Quick Reply: So I spilled coffee on my MMI controls.. (Pictures)