A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I spilled coffee on my MMI controls.. (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default it does look like the Head Unit is dead... all the other are intermittent

may caused by the head unit.
Looks like we can't beat a dead horse, the next "educated guess" is the Head Unit.
- NO mmi welcome screen.
- VCDS error every time.

Did you test the control panel buttons? Put the old one back in, if it works, return the new one.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-29-2016, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It all points to your control head being dead i'm afraid.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, thanks for your help.

I did hook up the old MMI pad - no change there

I removed the control head and will ship to Hi-tech electronics for repair. They quoted me $375 for the repair. It will take 2-3 weeks turnaround to Canada, I will report when I have it back.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that sounds like a lot, i will be travelling to st johns in a week or so, if you wanted i could probably hand carry a replacement and post it from there to you.

i take that back, seems like second hand units are quite expensive, but like i said if you need me to carry unit from Europe to Canada i can.

Last edited by haggisuk; 05-29-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haggisuk
that sounds like a lot, i will be travelling to st johns in a week or so, if you wanted i could probably hand carry a replacement and post it from there to you.

i take that back, seems like second hand units are quite expensive, but like i said if you need me to carry unit from Europe to Canada i can.
Wow, I've never expected I would get so much help on a forum. Audi world A8 forum is really great, thanks to you gentlemen.

I looked around and Hi-tech electronics seems like not bad option considering that my dealer wants $2300 for new control head plus programming charge (I guess at least an hour of labor which is $175 at Audi Edmonton)
Old 05-29-2016, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pawel S
Wow, I've never expected I would get so much help on a forum. Audi world A8 forum is really great, thanks to you gentlemen.

I looked around and Hi-tech electronics seems like not bad option considering that my dealer wants $2300 for new control head plus programming charge (I guess at least an hour of labor which is $175 at Audi Edmonton)
Plenty of cheap ones on eBay
Install yourself
See if it works with some restrictions because of cp
If it works book in to Audi dealer take proof of purchase or just plead dumb say it was like that when you bought the car.
Or buy a clone vas 5054a and get it done over the net for $50
Old 05-29-2016, 11:37 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeap as I been saying lately the head is dead thats why you
get the 3 - 5 sec weak optical light at the changer that the next link after the head, the internal power supply is shot so the optical light cant pass though the head properly, if that happen from the coffee spill DONT use that controller on another head might fry it again, what happened when the drank spill it shorted +12 to the data lines of the head which fused the head internal power supply.... the later E380 (MMI HEAD) have a one way diode I think from 2007 and up that prevents that from happening, I remember when I swapped out my e380 for the 2007 model the later model had more components inside for 375 I would have just purchase a CP free head with FBAS for later options or get normal and get CP done they like 75 - 200 dollars in the US with FBAS connection, strangely I think the Camera module should still work because that goes straight to the screen, and doesn't really need the head for the camera.... because the lcd lvds connects directly to it and when you go in reverse it takes over, so at the moment we're unsure if that's fried also....

Last edited by Shamoye Lewis; 05-29-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default you didn't get my point... did you test the LED blinking

using panel buttons? New or old?

Originally Posted by Pawel S
Guys, thanks for your help.

I did hook up the old MMI pad - no change there

I removed the control head and will ship to Hi-tech electronics for repair. They quoted me $375 for the repair. It will take 2-3 weeks turnaround to Canada, I will report when I have it back.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Louis,

I realized I did miss what you meant after reviewing your previous post and video. I've already sent the control head for repair but fortunately I have 90 days to return the control pad. I will test it when the control head is back.

By the way, an advise from electronics technician was to bath thoroughly the control pad board that had coffee spilled on it in warm water and then let it dry. I wasn't able to get all of the coffee residue with alcohol therefore I followed his advice. The board looks like new, I wonder if it will work.

I also found very inexpensive refurbished control heads in europe, specifically Poland. You can get one for something like $160 CAD but it's european version of Audi A8
Old 05-30-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Louis,

I realized I did miss what you meant after reviewing your previous post and video. I've already sent the control head for repair but fortunately I have 90 days to return the control pad. I will test it when the control head is back.

By the way, an advise from electronics technician was to bath thoroughly the control pad board that had coffee spilled on it in warm water and then let it dry. I wasn't able to get all of the coffee residue with alcohol therefore I followed his advice. The board looks like new, I wonder if it will work.

I also found very inexpensive refurbished control heads in europe, specifically Poland. You can get one for something like $160 CAD but it's european version of Audi A8

Quick Reply: So I spilled coffee on my MMI controls.. (Pictures)