A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just nailed a deer

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Sorry to hear. Question: you don't have collision/comprehensive? Not sure about deer, but from encounters with both rocks rolling down slope onto highway and a bird strike that took out various stuff, both of those were considered comprehensive. Comprehensive = $100 deductible for me (same as windshield) and importantly, no finding of fault/points/premium hit. That's probably something like a $5K or even 7.5K claim for that corner area as a first guess.
I'd guess much higher than $7500, especially if the headlight is damaged. I had a similar impact to my old A6 Prestige with less visible damage and that ended up being north of $18k for the final estimate.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 591 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
I'd guess much higher than $7500, especially if the headlight is damaged. I had a similar impact to my old A6 Prestige with less visible damage and that ended up being north of $18k for the final estimate.
I can't be at all sure from the one nighttime pic, and yes looks like headlight may be gone given the fur there. Just takes one broken plastic tang. My questions for more $$ were also around the grill area, fender liner and braces, belly pan stuff, any contact with motor area or parts, and if there are any coolers down by fog light/ACC sensor lower grill area. Not sure which motor it is. My D3 W12 had an oil cooler there, and my S8 4.0T has coolers in there too.

Bigger picture my replies were/are with the drift that this feels a whole lot more like a $$ insurance claim, not a junk yard treasure hunt. I do recall though one member recently did a D4 deer fix, after taking a check from his insurance for the loss estimate IIRC.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-19-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I can't be at all sure from the one nighttime pic, and yes looks like headlight may be gone given the fur there. Just takes one broken plastic tang. My questions for more $$ were also around the grill area, fender liner and braces, belly pan stuff, any contact with motor area or parts, and if there are any coolers down by fog light/ACC sensor lower grill area. Not sure which motor it is. My D3 W12 had an oil cooler there, and my S8 4.0T has coolers in there too.

Bigger picture my replies were/are with the drift that this feels a whole lot more like a $$ insurance claim, not a junk yard treasure hunt. I do recall though one member recently did a D4 deer fix, after taking a check from his insurance for the loss estimate IIRC.
I'm with you, I was just (unfortunately) going on my experience with something similar last year at this time. The initial estimate on my car was closer to $5k. When it got to the (Audi-recommended) body shop it went through 3 rounds of supplementals to get to the $18k number. It was probably $1k or so away from being totaled. Ultimately the LED headlight assembly and all associated control modules, one ACC radar module, night vision camera, and front grille were replaced, along with body work and repainting of the hood. I will say that the shop did a great job and the car looked brand new when I got it back. Ultimately I sold it for $18,500.

Obviously every situation is different and equipment differs between the cars. If that headlight is toast (if cracked, whole unit needs to be replaced) and the ACC sensor needs to be replaced (mine still worked but they replaced it with a new one anyway), then I expect the bill to be at least $12k with the body work. The single most expensive item on mine was the night vision camera, which was north of $4k to replace.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So everything thus far is going ok. Made the claim and identified the body shop yesterday so the car is there waiting for adjuster estimate today. The body shop guy suggested he be with the adjuster so he can ensure we don't get a lowball gloss-over which seemed like it made sense. I've got to call my insurance customer service this morning to find out about how/if this affects my rates. And by the way, holy **** I had no idea headlights could cost so much.