2019 A5 sport back has mind of its own ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 A5 sport back has mind of its own ?

Hi all!
New member here!

I recently picked up a new A5 sportback komfort this week.
I have noticed when driving at highway speeds, I often have to fight the steering wheel to stop the car from changing lanes on its own. It’s almost like the car is driving alongside two magnets and keeps getting pulled from side to side.

Alignment is good and tire pressure is normal. It’s currently on 19” low profile summers.

I have tried all drive select options and haven’t noticed a difference besides dynamic being a little worse.

Any ideas?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 330busdriver
Hi all!
New member here!

I have noticed when driving at highway speeds, I often have to fight the steering wheel to stop the car from changing lanes on its own. It’s almost like the car is driving alongside two magnets and keeps getting pulled from side to side.

Alignment is good and tire pressure is normal. It’s currently on 19” low profile summers.

I have tried all drive select options and haven’t noticed a difference besides dynamic being a little worse.

Any ideas?
Is the lane keeping assist on or off? Button is on the end of the turn signal stalk
Old 03-17-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cv640pilot
Is the lane keeping assist on or off? Button is on the end of the turn signal stalk
Hi, sorry for not specifying.
I don’t have any assistance features.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, sorry for not specifying.
I don’t have any assistance features.
I picked mine up this week as well and it tracks very straight. I had them put the winter wheels on mine and noticed (after getting a TPMS warning) that they weren't inflated properly. Check your tire pressures, something could be off there.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Hi all!
New member here!

Any ideas?
That is not normal behaviour. Not sure how you know alignment is good, but check wheel bolts are tight and that the dealer has not left the shipping blocks in. Then take it to the dealer.

You don't list a location, but IIRC Komfort is a packaging description used in Canada. I would have thought the ambient temps are still far too cold for high performance summer tyres, but that still shouldn't cause that behaviour unless you had massive sidewinds.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
That is not normal behaviour. Not sure how you know alignment is good, but check wheel bolts are tight and that the dealer has not left the shipping blocks in. Then take it to the dealer.

You don't list a location, but IIRC Komfort is a packaging description used in Canada. I would have thought the ambient temps are still far too cold for high performance summer tyres, but that still shouldn't cause that behaviour unless you had massive sidewinds.
Based on some research and the fact that the alignment and pressure check all come back ok, the most probable cause seems to be the temperature in combination with the summer performance tires.

We will see how it handles with the temps warming up this week.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Based on some research and the fact that the alignment and pressure check all come back ok, the most probable cause seems to be the temperature in combination with the summer performance tires.

We will see how it handles with the temps warming up this week.
You really need around 7°C for the summer compounds to start working correctly. Once you are down at 0°C or below, the grip level falls off dramatically unless you can keep the tyres in their temp operating window, which is almost impossible on a highway at those ambient temps. Personally, I would have thought there's enough of the season left to warrant putting winter tyres on now, and am a bit surprised the dealer was happy delivering your new car on summer tyres. Although IIRC Quebec is the only province where that is mandatory. You will find a substantial improvement in grip levels. And braking distances. Stay safe.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
You really need around 7°C for the summer compounds to start working correctly. Once you are down at 0°C or below, the grip level falls off dramatically unless you can keep the tyres in their temp operating window, which is almost impossible on a highway at those ambient temps. Personally, I would have thought there's enough of the season left to warrant putting winter tyres on now, and am a bit surprised the dealer was happy delivering your new car on summer tyres. Although IIRC Quebec is the only province where that is mandatory. You will find a substantial improvement in grip levels. And braking distances. Stay safe.
Thanks again. I am indeed in Quebec. The last day where winter tires are legally requires is March 15th. The law also states that when taking delivery of a new vehicle there is a 10 day exempt period. That’s probably why the dealer delivered the vehicle this way. It is the first time I have driven on summer tires this early in the year so it makes sense now. To be honest I didn’t think it would have such an effect. It’s defintiely good to know. Luckily the temps are rising this week.

Thanks for all the suggestions we will see how it goes.