Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Need Feedback (First Time Buyer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Feedback (First Time Buyer)

Hey Guys,

I went and test drove a 2015 A5 Premium Plus on Saturday. This is the first time I will be buying an Audi, so I am a bit hesitant about pulling the trigger without crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's. After the test drive and looking at different options, I know exactly what I want. Unfortunately, there aren't any models available to that spec in my area. I am looking for a 2015 A5 Premium Plus in Moonlight Blue exterior, Black interior (Aluminum Inlays) w/ Technology Package.

I really don't think this is a custom order car. This is very standard/ basic options for an Audi. I just haven't been able to find one. I found some with Sports (that I can live with) and Sports Plus Package (can't live with since it's too sporty for me).

The dealership told me that they don't see anything in the region for this spec for the next 3 months and suggested I go for Monsoon Gray exterior or a custom order. I am not completely sold on that color or the idea of a custom order for this.

Question for you guys are:

a) I located two vehicles to this spec in Seattle. Is that even worth pursuing? I believe their taxes are higher than Texas. Besides, I am not sure how the logistics work, etc?

b) I custom order the car or wait for next 6 months (since there isn't anything showing up in next 3 months). Would I completely lose any negotiation power if I do a custom order?

I'll really appreciate any pointers/ suggestions.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

From the options you want it doesn't sound 'custom', but I do believe the dealers have limited inventory so they may not be able to get their hands on one easily. I will say if you do order, go for the European delivery. You will be locked in at 5% below MSRP and you can get it exactly the way you want it. I took delivery of our S5 back in August and it should be here in a few weeks. Driving it in Europe was so much fun and the entire experience in Germany is great. My wife and I are already planning our next trip.

If you want it faster you might try Cartiligent. I've used them 2x (for none Audis) and was able to get exactly what I want at a fair price. I am not sure if the go across state lines, but it's worth checking.

Good luck
Old 09-22-2014, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

If there is one at a dealership in the USA and you are willing to pay the transport cost, your local dealer should be able to get it for you. You can expect a transport cost between $850-$1500 depending on how it is moved.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can still negotiate if you custom order from Audi, I was able to get 8% off MSRP, $1500 Audi loyalty bonus, and the supercharged badges for free (yes, they actually charge $145 for the badges) when I ordered my S5. probably just depends on the dealership you're using. I agree with 19hole, if there is one at another Audi dealer anywhere in US, they can get it from that dealer shipped to them.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

As far as the taxes are concerned if you buy the car out of the state that you would be registering it, you will most likely not pay any taxes at the dealer and they will give you a temporary plate/registration. When you register the car in your state, you will also pay your state's taxes so in the end, it will not matter what state you buy the car from for tax purposes. I have done this a few times in different states however, your state may vary
Old 09-23-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, Puff, if you know where the car is, get a plane ticket and go fetch it! Or have it shipped (less fun).

Sales tax is paid to your home state. Welcome aboard!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I am actually following up on an in-state lead and also the Seattle one. Let's see how these work out. Couple of more things:

- I will probably end up getting the Lifetime ACNA Membership since it gets you 6% discount, but I wanted to know what is the time frame on the approval/ certificate? Seems like you have to have a signed cert available at the time of purchase.

- What the current interest rate? I am seeing 4.9% - 6.9% on the dealership websites.

- Also, any tips on long distance negotiations? Things to consider that you wouldn't necessarily have to at a local dealership?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by powerpuff85
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I am actually following up on an in-state lead and also the Seattle one. Let's see how these work out. Couple of more things:

- I will probably end up getting the Lifetime ACNA Membership since it gets you 6% discount, but I wanted to know what is the time frame on the approval/ certificate? Seems like you have to have a signed cert available at the time of purchase.

- What the current interest rate? I am seeing 4.9% - 6.9% on the dealership websites.

- Also, any tips on long distance negotiations? Things to consider that you wouldn't necessarily have to at a local dealership?
You need to be a member for 6 months before you are eligible for the 6% discount.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I used USAA's Car Buying Service.. Which is essentially TrueCar. It finds participating dealerships that have the lowest price.. typically around 6% or lower than the sticker price. Then you can start negotiations from there. It's a lot easier.

You get 6% discount off of what? for being a ACNA member?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shopping for a loan online

This site offers instant approval and will advise which lending companies, and banks offer the best rates. Off course it depends on your credit, duration, state etc. I think I got 1.9-2.05% with Bank of America when I bought my new car last yr. Approval process is instant, valid for 30 days. If approved you get a confirmation by email, present it to the dealer, and dealer handles everything else.

I found walking into the dealership with my confirmation code in hand gave me good negotiating leverage.

Bankrate.com

I also found it cheaper to get the loan myself, then go thru the dealer, even though they deal with the exact same institutions