Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Piano Black center console protection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman
I have been looking. Someone had the page from the manual in a thread relating to another part. Hopefully someone knows where it was.
Here's the Youtube I mentioned -
. The page you mention might have been in the other thread I started about dings on the grey wood trim.
The following users liked this post:
HyperS4 (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,390 Posts

PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION AT THE 2:30 MINUTE MARK. If you don’t you’ll break the center console cover!

Ask me how I know.

— John
Old 08-03-2021, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I can't see videos at work, so no idea if that is the same one in this post or not.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25342051
Old 08-03-2021, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,190 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION AT THE 2:30 MINUTE MARK. If you don’t you’ll break the center console cover!

Ask me how I know.

— John
These cars can be so frustrating. Trim literally has all these hidden fasteners and it is made to really only go on, not come off unless you are a rocket scientist.
When I buried a cable for my hardwire radar detector install in other Audi cars I had the hardest time ever trying to get the a-pillar trim off and was hesitant since I knew there was an airbag under it. When the window tint guys took them off to tint my Q7 windshield I was damned at how easy they made it look...
Old 09-15-2021, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes not easy

Yes. So I was just at Audi. I ordered the new center piece, the piano black crap...They told me before I bought it that it was just a pop off and pop back on console. The entire center portion of the dash has to come out, because the piano black is screwed in there which requires dissembling the entire center console. So I paid $250 plus tip to PPF then $250 for the piece and now they want $891 to install it. They said its a 3-4 hour project. This is the most asinine thing I've dealt with. I have a 2021 RS5 Sportback. And yes, the middle console scratches easily, even with a wet, microfiber cloth. Terrible place to put piano black. Very cheap, instead of making it carbon fiber, or the material they were using on the 2019s. Mine has swirls scratches, but nothing is chipped. The dealer even through my keys in the open spot a few times, where the MMI used to be, and that also made scratches to the piano black.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta1447
Yes. So I was just at Audi. I ordered the new center piece, the piano black crap...They told me before I bought it that it was just a pop off and pop back on console. The entire center portion of the dash has to come out, because the piano black is screwed in there which requires dissembling the entire center console. So I paid $250 plus tip to PPF then $250 for the piece and now they want $891 to install it. They said its a 3-4 hour project. This is the most asinine thing I've dealt with. I have a 2021 RS5 Sportback. And yes, the middle console scratches easily, even with a wet, microfiber cloth. Terrible place to put piano black. Very cheap, instead of making it carbon fiber, or the material they were using on the 2019s. Mine has swirls scratches, but nothing is chipped. The dealer even through my keys in the open spot a few times, where the MMI used to be, and that also made scratches to the piano black.
If you can get the scratched one back - try using a plastic and swirl remover to see if that would help. I have used 3M Hand glaze that I used on my car to also remove scratches and swirls on my 1980s turntable cover. Work gently first. If that helps you can save the old one as replacement or sell it.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,248 Likes on 770 Posts

A suggestion would be to look at hydro-dipping, unlimited patterns that are incredibly resilient.. If they can hydro-dip a wheel, an interior car part would a breeze and leave a durable finish that will last for years. Not my wheels, found the pic online under hydro-dipping.

Nikon1 (09-15-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m in the same shoe as you. Dealership wants $500 alone just to remove and reinstall the trim piece if I want to take it somewhere else and have it treated with PPF. Those places it won’t touch it while it’s on the car in fear of bricking the electronics. I tried to call Audi corporate and there’s a ****ing 2 HOUR HOLD.
stevekna (03-13-2022)
Old 10-07-2021, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
Here's the Youtube I mentioned - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Ew-nXgjtI. The page you mention might have been in the other thread I started about dings on the grey wood trim.
I'm even more pissed off after seeing this video. The dealership has the ***** to quote $500 of labor for something that can done in 5 minutes?!
Old 10-07-2021, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by deltahawk5
I'm even more pissed off after seeing this video. The dealership has the ***** to quote $500 of labor for something that can done in 5 minutes?!
Dealers gonna dealership.

Quick Reply: Piano Black center console protection?